Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I hurt myself today

"... To see if I'd still feel."

I know, eewww! Try to focus on the pretty pearly-whites.
OK, not literally. Just one of today's songs that struck a chord. In a bit of a time crunch just now, so you'll have to wait for deets on this morning's run later. I will give ya the stats and the shuffle list, just for kicks. 'Cause everybody needs some kicks.

Wow, it's kinda late and I'm not sure what to say. Today's, er, yesterday's run was in part another errand run. A few blocks to the video store to return "Death Proof" and "Room 33," a couple horror/suspense flicks. Very good, both of them, though totally different. Tarantino's homage to '70s exploitation in his Grindhouse special "Death Proof" is incredibly well done, giving the authentic feel of its ancestors. As for "Room 33," well, I love the use of old asylums -- great setting for a horror film. Old school psychiatric care is scary stuff in itself. At least what I've seen of it through such films, which I am sure bear some semblance of truth.

It was on the way to the library from the video store to return another video that I came across a plastic restaurant-style fried-food basket; you know, the kind they line with paper and fill with fries or chicken strips or cheese sticks or breaded mushrooms. It was in perfect condition, though I'd have preferred red to black. But scavengers can't be choosers. It's washed and lined with a napkin for a few generic Oreos -- well, there were a few, but only one remains.

OK, aside: I'm watching "The Hurt Locker" and I don't understand why the IED busters bother disarming explosives. Why not just get at a safe distance and blow 'em?

The big piece of metal appears to be some
sort of heat shield or auto part. Thought it
might be aluminum and would, in effect,
boost my can total. Alas, it is steel.
Anyway, quick stop at the library to drop off the UK version of "The Office" (wife watched, not me) and then proceeded to wend my way home on a still sore leg. It's getting better, though. Trouble with winter running -- besides the snotty mustache -- is the choppy gait you resort to in an effort to dodge ice and to negotiate sidewalk tundra. And in my case, the frequent difficulty in finding goodies. I still manage a few worthwhile items here and there, but it's harder when everything is covered with snow and slush and ice. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

So, in the home stretch, south on Kellogg past Cottage Hospital to Seminary and east to Seminary and north past the hospital I was seeing loads of these blue mystery sticks. The looked like blue fireplace matches or something, but often in small clusters rather than individuals. It puzzled my puzzler, then it dawned on me: busted bristles from the whirling tractor-mounted brush used by the grounds crew to sweep snow from the sidewalks around the hospital.

Today's Stats
Temp: 25 degrees F
Distance: 5.3 miles
Weekly Total: 8.3 miles
Treasure: 1 plastic fried-food basket; 1 right-hand glove (cloth work-type); 17 cans; loads of blue mystery sticks (explained above).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
When Ye Go Away - The Waterboys
Last Beautiful Girl - Matchbox Twenty
Dear Prudence - The Beatles
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Dunford's Fancy - The Waterboys
In the Flesh - Pink Floyd
Strange Boat - The Waterboys
Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police
Such Great Heights - Iron & Wine
She Loves You - The Beatles
Hold On Loosely - .38 Special
Piano Man - Billy Joel
Something's Missing (live) - John Mayer
You're Gonna Lose That Girl - The Beatles
Cradlesong - Rob Thomas
Have A Cigar (Bill and Monica's Theme) - Pink Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment