Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I gotta roll, can't stand still

The alternative lyric starter today was The Rolling Stones'
"Turd on the Run," inspired by this culinary commentary.
Having never drunk Budweiser Select 55 (low-cal beer), I
can only assume it tastes like crap.
Thank you, Led Zeppelin. Lyrics from "Black Dog," off "Led Zeppelin IV." Why? Because today I saw a ginormous black dog as I came down Park Lane Avenue, right by the corner of Seminary Street. Scared the crap out of me. I was scanning the roadside for cans and goodies to my left, and when my eyes came up to scout the T intersection, I spied the huge black pit bull snuffling around a yard, unchained, maybe 20 feet away. I immediately averted my gaze, lest eye contact provoke his interest. After rounding the corner I continue to look over my shoulder for the next block and a half to make sure Sirius hadn't decided to give chase. (Yes, Potter fans, I know Sirius wasn't a pit bull.)

By my reference to Park Lane Avenue, locals will know I took a different route today. Starting out on the commercial loop up Seminary Street to Carl Sandburg Drive toward Henderson Street, I split north up Lincoln Park Drive on a whim and out to Lincoln Park. It was a pretty, scenic jog, though not as inspiring as it is in spring or summer. Along the way I spotted two herds of squirrels stuffing their already fat bellies to carry them through the rest of winter. One bunch in a yard on Sandburg Drive broke as soon as I approached their vicinity and scampered up a tree. But the quintet in the park behind Park Lane Drive (the private road that parallels Park Lane Avenue) kept placidly munching away.

Best of all today, I tried out my backpack idea. Grabbing my Sierra Club freebie out of the closet and a plastic shopping bag to serve as a liner, I headed out prepared to fill up a sack and carry it on my back.

I love bags, backpacks, duffels, even coats with lots of pockets. My wife says I'm amazingly good at compartmentalizing, though it wasn't a compliment in context at the time. But she was onto something. I like containers and places to put things. Backpacks are awesome because they have pockets for separating stuff and some have pen/pencil slots and key clips and iPod pouches and phone pockets and D-rings for hanging stuff on the outside. I'm even a little obsessed with crazy little mint and candy tins as containers for stuff. 

Anyway, the Sierra Club rucksack worked great! It's a top-loader with a flap and drawstring closure, so it was easy to line with the shopping bag and fill at intervals as my hands got full with a few cans or treasures. That bag is the primary reason I succumbed to the Sierra Club's come-ons: $25 bucks for a good cause and I get a free pack to add to my collection. I renewed to get a weekend duffel but it hasn't arrived yet (maybe I missed out because I sent my money after the promised five days). 

HOLY COW! It just arrived! No foolin'! Daughter No. 3 just came in with the mail and as she's walking in by me asks, "What's the Sierra Club?" I was so excited I didn't answer her question until 5 minutes later. And hey, nice duffel -- and it inverts to zip into itself for compact storage.

Back on track... My favorite pack, however, is a JanSport rucksack I received as a gift probably 20 years ago from my best friend Chris Farrar (God rest his soul). We never exchanged gifts regularly, but a couple times he sent me things out of the blue. The rucksack is grey with a leather bottom and lots of lash patches for cross-country skis and crampons and such. I don't think they make the model anymore. Chris knew of my love for backpacks and I must have mentioned wanting a JanSport, so he just up sent it to me for my birthday one year. Another time he expressed dismay at my admission that I'd never seen Disney's "Fantasia," and subsequently sent us the VHS for Christmas as a family gift. We treasure it still. I miss you, buddy.

Sorry, ladies, I don't think this will fit
your husband/boyfriend.
Today's Stats
Temp: 21 degrees F, warming to 30 by shower's end
Distance: 6.5 miles
Weekly Total: 9.5 miles
Treasure: 1 Colt 1911 Target AirSoft pistol (missing pieces and apparently inoperable); 1 non-retractable utility knife; 1 Durex condom (wrapper split at seam); 1 Honda hood/grill emblem (broken frame); 1 grubby washcloth (good shop rag for wiping the oil dipstick); 2 Miller Lite logo thingies (one circular, one a clover); 1 quarter (1965); and 33 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Last Beautiful Girl - Matchbox Twenty
Roll With the Changes - REO Speedwagon
I Can't Quit You Baby - Led Zeppelin
Same Old Story - Garth Brooks
Excitable Boy - Warren Zevon
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Fisherman's Blues - The Waterboys
Things Can Only Get Better - Howard Jones
I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Death Cab for Cutie
No Such Thing (Live) - John Mayer
Time and Time Again - Counting Crows
City Love (Live) - John Mayer
She's a Beauty - The Tubes
Boom Boom Mancini - Warren Zevon
Goodnight Saigon - Billy Joel
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
She's Got a Way About Her - Billy Joel
I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You - Colin Hay
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles

1 comment: