Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Nail in My Coffin

When I stepped out to take the trash to the curb this morning in my holey (haha, I started to write holy – Freudian slip?) Guinness sleep shorts and beloved Knox College Old Siwash sweatshirt (belonged to my departed best friend) it felt comfortable outside. So I figured shorts and a T-shirt would be sufficient for running, despite the 42 degrees registered on my iPod weather app.

I was wrong. Oh, it wasn’t terrible. But the wind gusts I hadn’t noticed earlier, were sharp. Not the most stinging I’ve experienced, but I regretted not wearing a jacket or even just gloves. I survived, though. And it wasn’t even 4 miles. Funny I should now see 4 miles as any kind of benchmark. Three years ago I couldn’t imagine running a mile.
 
Everything is relative. I have friends who run 19 miles on a whim; a new co-worker who runs regularly pops 10 miles. That’s a push for me. But I want and need to push myself. I need to do more. (Gotta offset the late-night Cheetos and booze.) I thought my pace was better for at least part of today’s run. But over the long haul – or short haul as it were – it wasn’t so speedy. But I felt good about the run.
 
I took no bag to collect cans and such. I was determined just to run. I picked up but one item, a roofing nail. I always snag nails and screws when I see them, as a matter of courtesy to drivers and bikers (motorized and pedal-powered) – to save them from a potential flat. I figure it’s good karma. And I need all of that I can get. I subsequently thought it clever to plant it in my Target-acquired coffin box that once contained a pair of rock candy stir-sticks. I used it for laundry quarters when I lived in an apartment. Now it’s empty.
 
So what’s another nail in my coffin?
 
Today's Stats (Monday, Oct. 21, 2013)
Temp: 42 degrees F
Distance: 3.68 miles
Weekly Total: 3.68 miles
Treasure: 1 nail.
 
iPod Playlist (KGHS Mix):
Roll With the Changes – REO Speedwagon
Time For Me To Fly – REO Speedwagon
More Than A Feeling – Boston
Hungry Like The Wolf – Duran Duran
Mr. Roboto – Styx
Owner Of A Lonely Heart – Yes
Rock Of Ages – Def Leppard
Rosanna – Toto
Tom Sawyer – Rush

No comments:

Post a Comment