Monday, October 14, 2013

Band on the Run

It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, it’s how you play the game. Put another way, what matters is that you play your best, do your best, give it your all, leave nothing on the field.

We all know that’s bullshit. We want to win. When we’re not winning now, we live on the fading memories of past victories. We hail the awesomeness of those we revere if we haven’t achieved lofty greatness ourselves. It’s true whether we’re talking about your favorite NFL franchise or your high school band. And as you’ve already figured out, it’s the latter I’m talking about here.

But you know what? All that goes out the window when you’re standing on the sidelines, choked with emotion, watching your daughter experience the mind-blowing awesomeness of marching out onto the artificial turf of Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois first time. It’s all the more breathtaking when you’ve been there yourself and watching from the sidelines, at field level, dredges up memories of your own day in the spotlight.

And when I heard those words – “Galesburg High School marching band, YOU may take the field for competition!” – it was all I could do not to burst into tears. My eyes watered, my chest seized. I regained my composure and remembered my promise to restore the tradition: “Give’em , hell, Galesburg!” I shouted through cupped hands. Alumni did it for us in my day and I did it for the Marching Streaks when my middle daughter Amanda was in the band a few years ago. I told Molly I’d do it for her, too.

Oh, how did I land on the sidelines for the 2013 Illini Marching Band Championships? Easy, I volunteered as a chaperone.

“All right, I’m bored already.”

I don’t know who it was, one of the girls on my bus – bus number 2. I was floored. We hadn’t left the parking lot yet. It takes a few minutes – OK, maybe 15 or 20 – to settle in, load up, confirm attendance. But bored already? All the personal electronics, books, notebooks, smartphones, DVD (!) on the charter bus, and these kids were bored? To be fair, I’m sure those words were uttered back in 1981 on my first trip – aboard a big yellow bus – to the Illini Marching Band Classic/Festival of Bands/Whatever it was called then.

Within minutes the boredom disappeared in giggles as a silly game of Chubby Bunny broke out. “Oh, I’m gonna remember this forever,” somebody vowed. Maybe she will. Hard to explain or mark the memories that will stick with us. I still recall the flirtatious overtures of an upperclass tenor sax player on my first trip home from the U of I. Well, maybe bored girl was still bored. But others were forging unforgettable memories.

In volunteering as a chaperone I had ultimately signed on as a member of the crew, the parents and band members who organize, schlep, pack, unpack, schlep, repair and maintain the percussion “pit” instruments (bells, xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, timpani, gong, cymbals and, in some cases, more) and the drum majors’ stands – two step-ladders and a 6-foot-high rolling platform.
 
Another band with lighted walls on the field.
Confession: I hate “pit” percussion. Call me a traditionalist, but I believe if it doesn’t march, it has no place in a marching band competition. We had some minor pit percussion at least two years of my three in the Marching Streaks. But we started with bells and a small xylophone in marching rigs. And I had no say in the decision to add sideline percussion. There were bands Saturday with 10 full-size mallet instruments (vibes, xylophone, marimba) concert bass drum, chimes, electronic keyboards, electric guitars, P.A. systems to amplify the mallets and their woodwind soloists. That’s ridiculous.

Oh, and then there’s all the props and drama and narration. What’s with that? Look, I’ll admit those are some pretty amazing performances. Dunlap’s “When It Was Just a Game” Casey at the bat routine and some of the others with lighted walls and multiple flag-changes and costumes and costume changes are all marvelous dramatic performances. Wow.

In my day, it culminated with the spread of a rainbow banner at the zenith of “Over the Rainbow,” which was popular  in 1981, even 1982.
 
The Marching Streaks' pit.
GHS never fell prey to that popularity game. Sure, they did a 007 theme during Amanda’s years when a couple of others did it, too. But we/they never succumbed to the lure of the theatrical performance.

And you know what? I noticed something at the end of last night. The greatest show of the day came at the end. The Marching Illini took the field for an exposition after Carl Sandburg High School wrapped the Class 6A competition. World renowned. Greatest marching show on earth. I don’t remember the exact words the announcer used to introduce the band. But all were true. So far as I know. And in our perception. The Marching Illini are precise and fun and astounding. 


The Illini started with a focus on the drumline and sousaphones – 16 of ’em – , who jam and dance to a rhythm that rocks your soul. And when the full band filled – literally filled – the field, they opened to a kick-ass medley in honor of Earth, Wind and Fire that opened with “In the Stone,” which again caught my breath and stalled my heart. We opened with that my sophomore year – that was first year back then, when we had a three-year high school. I nearly lost it again.

At the end of the night – not “at the end of the day,” a phrase I loathe – my philosophy was affirmed: It is the basics, the foundations, that count. Marching and maneuvering and music are the core of a marching band competition. And frankly, the music can do without the extras. The Marching Illini had no “pit” percussion. Period.

My view pushing the drum majors' platform.
Understand? Get it?

Today's Stats
Temp: Comfortable
Distance: 6-plus miles (three round trips from buses to stadium at 1 mile each way)
Weekly Total: 20.93 miles (I didn’t blog about the 4.64-mile run Friday morning)
Treasure: Pride and purpose.





No comments:

Post a Comment