Monday, March 28, 2011

Survival Run

What a lame day for street scavenging. OK, so I bypassed a nylon wrist strap from a camera or something and a 3-foot length of brown faux fur, but those were hardly major prizes in the world of lost and found. OK, the fur might have had a use and I may still pick up the wrist strap on a future run (it's been in the same spot for weeks if not a couple months). I guess I just wasn't in the mood to mess with trifles.

So why did I bother with the bangle? I mean, I have three others from a few months back and my daughters don't want them. They're plain and a little scratched from being trampled and ground into the pavement by car tires. But they're not in poor condition. Hey, I get it if my girls just aren't into bangles (apparently they are not, as they don't wear even the ones they've bought) and I'm sure there's more than a little reluctance to embrace my trash habit. Oh well, their loss.

The bangle goes in the Rubbermaid then; the CD hit the trash. I did hop on a bike a return to Florence Street to snap a pic of the redneck pickup with two cattle skulls affixed to the grill. It's not exactly a common sight in the Midwest and it reminded me of the big Army truck driven by the disfigured nut-job killer in last night's Netflix indulgence, "The Butcher." He had just one cow skull on his grill, though. Does that mean our local guy is twice as deadly? Twice as crazy? I'll settle for not knowing, thank you.

I recently finished "How to Survive a Horror Movie" by Seth-Grahame Smith, author of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," and I learned some valuable lessons. Actually a lot of it simply reinforced what I already knew about the subject and I'll put it into practice by not investigating that truck any further. Of course, biking up to it and stopping to take two photos already may have put me on the guy's victim radar. Let's hope not. I really don't relish the idea of torture and vivisection, thank you very much.

Today's Stats
Temp: 28 degrees F
Distance: 3 miles
Treasure: 1 gold-colored bangle; 1 CD-R, unlabeled, apparently blank; 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Wait for Me - Les Fleur De Lys (From Jimmy Page, "Have Guitar, Will Travel")
Paris - James McMurtry
Down Here Below - Steve Earle
Strong - Velvet Chain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer series soundtrack)
Killa - Cherish
Key - Devics
(Buffy the Vampire Slayer series soundtrack)
City of New Orleans - Willie Nelson
Blue (Hawaii 1973, live) - Joni Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment