Saturday, March 12, 2011

St. Patty's Day Race

I ran my second 5k race today, the CASI St. Patrick's Day Race in Davenport, Iowa. What an experience! I have yet to confirm the number of participants, but I have some details from my chip ticket.

Showed up at the River Music Experience a little after 9 to register. Because of some technical gaffe on my part I was unable to register online and reserve my shirt and they were out by the time I got to the table. They took my name, size and phone number, so maybe I can still obtain one. Whatever. I had fun and my best time yet. Proceeds from the race benefit CASI, a senior citizens group in Davenport.

I was amazed at the crush of runners jammed into the starting block on Brady Street. But the cool chip system ensures that the crowd-slowed start doesn't really affect your time. A plastic band embedded with a computer chip is looped through your shoe laces and is read by sensors in a rubber strip across the start, midpoint and finish line. Very cool. After the race, runners can stop by a stand equipped with a couple of keypads and receipt printers to punch in their race number and print out their stats.

Here are mine:
Overall: 411
DIVP: 33
DIVT: 59
SEXP: 291
SEXT: 524
time: 26:17
Pace: 8:29

Yeah, it was hieroglyphics to me, too. If my research was good, here's how those acronyms translate:
DIVP: Division Place
DIVT: Division Total
So I was 33rd out of 59 runners in my division (I think it was 40-49)
SEXP: Sex Place (as in gender, not position or anything)
SEXT: Sex Total (as in number of men running, not how many times you've done it)
So I was 291st our of 524 male runners.

It was a flat, smooth course, down one street and back, around a corner and on to the finish line. The headwind for the first half was a bit of a bear, though not really an impediment, but that turned into a tailwind for the second half, which was a nice boost -- probably accounts for my much faster than usual time. 

Oh, and while I picked up just one meaningless trinket on the race course, I did spot a couple gloves in the street on River Drive as we were leaving. I turned off and parked the car and ran back for them. Picked up yet another wheel cover as I waited on the median to cross, then darted out into the street when the traffic light changed in my favor and nabbed the two gloves, which were about 30 feet apart. Daughter number 2 gave a light-hearted groan at my obsession when she realized the cause of my detour.

Today's Stats
Temp: 40 degrees F, wind 21 mph out of the west
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weekly Total:11 miles
Treasure: 1 cracked baby rattle/toy thingy; I passed up a hairband, a dirty white sock, a pair of dirty black boxer briefs and what looked like it might be a socket in a crack in the pavement.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Rock the Boat - Hues Corporation
The Things That I Used to Do - Steve Ray Vaughan
Closing Medley (Folsom Prison Blues/Walk the Line/Ring of Fire/The Rebel - Johnny Yuma) - Johnny Cash
Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
Move - Miles Davis
Scraping Dixie - John Gorka

No comments:

Post a Comment