Friday, March 25, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Today was my lucky day. I received my race shirt from the St. Patrick's Day race in the mail. Guess that means I better wrap that video and get it up.

Well, that was my thought 13 hours ago when I started this entry. It is now 12:23 a.m. Friday and I've not made any video progress. I'm sure you'll forgive me when I tell you the delay was due to work and an extended reading session with daughter No. 3 -- "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins. We finished the first book in the trilogy, "The Hunger Games," earlier this week and just started book 2 Wednesday night. We're already well into it and it's proving just as captivating as the first.

Anyway, Thursday was a fruitful run. Besides logging a good distance and a solid start to my 30 miles in 30 days challenge for MapMyRun.com, I picked up a few interesting items off the street/sidewalk. The little Kia hubcap is in good condition, just one minor scratch, and I have a plan for it. Yet another "magic glove" -- you know those stretchy knit gloves that come in maybe two sizes to fit just about everybody? -- joins my vast collection. Add a purple fuzzy scarf and a thin black headband and you've got a pretty good haul for one day.

But that's just the beginning. The really interesting, though ultimately less useful, stuff came within a half-block stretch along Henderson Street in the vicinity of the Kentucky Fried Chicken. CDs, baby! Three of 'em. First was a home-burned Aretha Franklin disc (Happy Birthday, Aretha, by the way). It's actually spinning some tunes right now, despite some serious scrapes (as in down to clear plastic in a couple spots). Track 1 ("RESPECT") played flawlessly. Track 2 made it about halfway through and sent the player into skippy fits. More skippin' the light fantastic until Track 7, which played OK, with just one hiccup, and now Track 8 is going well. And then it falls apart until Track 15 ("Chain of Fools"), which is stumbling but trying hard.

Sadly, Josh Groban ("Closer") and The Isley Brothers ("Body Kiss") were too badly cracked, corroded and otherwise zombiefied to render any music. Groban tried. He iterated a couple prayerful syllables before he was overcome by his zombification and left speechless.

The highlight, however, came after I returned home, as I sat down to record the day's statistics and start this blog. Daughter No. 3 rushed in with the mail, which included a large bubble-wrap-lined envelope for me. Lo and behold was my race shirt from two weeks ago. Nice. I'm still pretty excited. Time to celebrate! 

Today's Stats
Temp: 30 degrees F
Distance: 4.67 miles
Weekly Total: 9.17
Treasure: 3 CDs (Aretha Franklin homemade disc, Josh Groban's "Closer" and The Isley Brothers' "Body Kiss"); 1 purple fuzzy scarf; 1 black elastic headband; 1 black magic glove; 1 pink baby sock; 1 Kia hubcap; 15 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Miss Judy's Farm (live) - The Faces
The Bed's Too Big Without You - The Police
Every Rose Has its Thorn - Poison
Poles Apart - Pink Floyd
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Kim Wilde
Rock the Boat - Hues Corporation
China Girl - David Bowie
Young Lust (Floyd Cover) - Luther Wright & The Wrongs
Near the End - David Gilmour
Darla's Sacrifice - Robert Kral ("Angel" TV series soundtrack)
Passage of Time - Rachel Portman ("Chocolat" soundtrack)
Save a Horse/ Ride a Cowboy (Dance Mix) - Big & Rich
The Hill - Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová ("Once" soundtrack)

No comments:

Post a Comment