Saturday, March 19, 2011

Give me a break

Special treat today: first photo of me in the red
CSC shorts by Nike that I found while running
last fall just south of Churchill Jr. High.
OK, I'm drawing a blank here on the inspiration front. Nothing special stands out about Friday's run, just that I did it. I was up late Thursday night watching a zombie movie, and spent some time piecing together the worthy bits of last weekend's race video, so I slept in and didn't hit the streets until almost 11 a.m. And the video still isn't done. Maybe sometime this weekend.

I can share some minor tales about the soft goods collected today. Very minor stories, I assure you. The dirty pink washcloth has been lying in the gutter just up the street a few doors on the west side of the road for probably a couple of months. I've seen it many times before and always passed it by. Too ratty. Too dirty. Too close to home. Finally I snatched it up. It is in pretty foul shape, but I think a washing will turn it into a usable shop rag.

The women's vest from Maurices was spotted Thursday, about four blocks away, as I biked around town on errands. I rode past it twice, going and coming, but left it lie because there were some junior high age kids playing just across the street and I didn't want to face their ridicule. Mostly I don't give a hoot what others think of my peculiar avocation, but as a bicyclist I take plenty of abuse as it is, even from kids (I was pelted with a snowball two winters ago on Martin Luther King Day) and I just didn't feel like giving them an opening.

I don't consider myself particularly thin-skinned, but it gets old and infuriating to be shouted at just because you're on a bike. I mean, people will drive by and some punk will shout something incomprehensible my direction, like it's cool to harass the guy on the bicycle. I don't get it. I want to shout back that they're the idiots spending loads of cash to tool around town in their loud, stinky car. Sometimes I just want to shoot 'em. I mean, really, live and let live, jerks. "But if this ever-changing world in which we're living, makes you give in and cry, say live and let die."

Today's Stats
Temp: 45 degrees F
Distance: 4.5 miles
Weekly Total: 9 miles
Treasure: 1 women's vest, brown (Maurices); 1 dirty pink washcloth; 1 Camel hard pack; 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Presence (My Heart's Desire) - Newsboys
12 For the Roses (live) - Joni Mitchell
Believe in Me - Dan Fogelberg
Holding Me Up - The Dandy Warhols
Blue Jean Blues - ZZ Top
100 Years - Five for Fighting
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
That's the Way (live) - Led Zeppelin

No comments:

Post a Comment