Friday, November 30, 2012

Send You to Sleep After the Glovin’



Cold weather and the approach of winter means it’s time for people to start losing things. Gloves, to point a finer point on it. I’ve picked up dozens of ‘em in the two and a half years I’ve been running. Not so many last year, as I wussed out and ran indoors on the track most days. OK, really it wasn’t a wussy thing but rather a lazy thing. I didn’t want to have to figure out the appropriate layers of clothes for dashing  through the snow.

Well, it has begun again. I found my first glove of the season yesterday. Or at least it was the first one I bothered to pick up. A big camouflage righty of the fleece variety. I feel a little guilty about snagging it from the curb in front of a neighbor’s house in my old ‘hood. What if it just fell out of a car parked out front? What if it slipped from Sully’s pocket as he toted the trash to the terrace on garbage day? Maybe I’ll take it back and knock on his door to see if it’s his. After all, what the hell am I going to do with a mateless mitt? Though I told buddy Tom L., who lives in my building (but not for much longer) that if I left it on the free table it would disappear.

You see, we have this table in the lobby where people leave stuff they don’t want: day-old newspaper (sometimes even fresh ones, just late in the day), cake mixes, vitamins, clothes, hangers, books, magazines, cards and miscellany too random for me to recall. It all disappears. I’ve taken and I’ve given. Glucosamine supplements have been left there twice and I took both bottles. Seemed a good idea given my aching knee. Not sure it helped, but those are expensive pills and they were free. Why not give ‘em a try?

One day early in my tenure here I left my bike near the table to hop upstairs to grab some forgotten item out of my apartment. Two women were conversing in the lobby and one cautioned me, “Sir, that’s not the best place to leave your bike.” I was kinda perturbed, thinking she was getting on my case for leaving the bike in the lobby. “Stuff on that table is there for anybody to take. You wouldn’t want somebody to take your bike.” Heck, she was being helpful. Never jump to conclusions. Actually it was the little girl’s bike I was riding at the time and I wouldn’t have minded someone taking it; would have spared me more heckling.

Anyhoo, I also picked up a nice bungee cord yesterday. That I just may have a use for. But the glove…

Today's Stats (Nov. 29)
Temp: 33 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 8.28 miles
Treasure: 1 camouflage glove; 1 black bungee cord; 19 cans.

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
The Walls Came Down – The Call
Dancing in the Dark – Diana Krall
The Great River – Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings soundtrack)
A Day in the Life – The Beatles
Walk Between theRaindrops – James McMurtry
Broken – Tears for Fears
I Want to Know What Love Is – Foreigner
That’s How Strong My Love Is (Live) – The Rolling Stones
Rock of Ages – Def Leppard
Nowhere To Run – Santana
Two of Hearts – Stacey Q
Absolute – The Fray

Today's Stats (Nov. 27)
Temp: 23 degrees F
Distance: 3.28 miles
Treasure: 7 cans.

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
Mr. Roboto – Styx
4:37 AM (Arabs With Knives & West German Skies) – Roger Waters
Rip This Joint – The Rolling Stones
Don’t Panic – Coldplay
Lady – Styx
Phoenix Song – Harry & The Potters
Walk Like an Egyptian – The Bangles
Everywhere I Go – Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris
You Keep Me Hangin’ On – Kim Wilde
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window (Anthology 3 version) – The Beatles


No comments:

Post a Comment