Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hustl’n by the Numbers


Ellen Baum and I at the start.

Today I ran my first Santa Hustle 5K, my second Chicago race, my 12th, I believe, “competitive” run. Let’s tally: three Railroad Days runs (two 5Ks and one 10K); two CASI St. Patrick’s Day 5Ks; two Bix 7’s; one Run Your Ice Off 5K; one Swedish Stomp 5K; one Run, Galesburg, Run 5K; one Monster Dash 5K; and one Santa Hustle. Yep, the Sesame Street gang says that’s 12 ladybugs at the ladybug picnic.

But let’s get to the real numbers behind today’s race. First, let me confess my previously reported (on Facebook, no less – fish bowl for the world) record 5K time is not accurate. It seems the organizers shorted the course. Now, let me note, this was a hell of an incredibly well organized race. Brilliantly executed in my estimation (given my limited experience). But isn’t this 2012? Era of GPS, satellite everything, Big Brother cameras and more? Yes. Why, yes, it is. So how did they short the course?

The Santa throng behind us at the start.
Well, we’ll address that later when time permits (if my memory capacity holds up long enough).

You’re still stuck on the numbers, right? (And wondering what the hell a word guy is doing focusing on numbers?) Well, here we go:

8,000 Runners (actually like 7,458, according to results)
3,000 Pounds of Cookies and Candy (along the course and at the finish)
9,000 Cups of Milk
15,000 Cookies (see above net weight)
350 Elves (volunteer support, from hydration stations to pace-time corrals and whatever else)
7 Chicago Bars involved in the after-party events
426 Miles driven round-trip
3.1 Miles run (or not)
1 Parking Ticket ($30, Village of Westmont)
2 Blown Coin-Only Tolls (awaiting mail collection, $3 total)
2 Missed Exits (I hate driving in and around the city)
1 Blown Stop Light (on a left turn no less)
1,627th Place Overall

For more on the 2012Santa Hustle, return to Lost and Found for Part 2.

Today's Stats
Temp: 42 degrees F (estimate based on suburban temp)
Distance: 3.1 miles (but not really)
Weekly Total: 11.3 miles
Treasure: 1 Santa hat.

iPod Playlist (Running Playlist):
Broken – Lifehouse
Catch My Diesase – Ben Lee (Maybe my favorite running song - makes me wanna dance)
Distance – Ryan Patrick
Heartbreak Warfare – John Mayer
I Will Follow You Into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
I Will Possess YourHeart – Death Cab for Cutie


No comments:

Post a Comment