Friday, November 23, 2012

Runaway Bridesmaid


My wedding date.

We’re standing up tomorrow, but I was stood up today. By the matron of honor no less. We were supposed to have a ritual run, a pre-wedding 5K, for good luck or whatever. But the MOH woke up with cold feet. Well, cold everything really.

The thermometer was hugging 33 degrees and a sharp wind blew out of the southwest. “Cold n windy,” she texted. “Yeah. WTF? It was lovely yesterday,” I replied. “Too cold,” she made herself clear. “Wimp,” I shot back.

I was undaunted. I’d psyched myself up for this run and it was gonna happen with or without her. It was a little like being left standing at the altar, only let’s see the groom go through with the ceremony if his bride doesn’t show. Best man is right, baby.

MOH may have been the wiser of us. That wind was strong and really biting, at least on the open ground sections of the hilly Lake Story biking/running path. Tried to shoot video with my dumb phone to give you a sense of the wind gusts, but the audio didn’t work, so it’s just silent shaky-cam. I did capture a photo of the little baby whitecaps on the lake – surf’s up!

Whitecaps on Lake Storey.
So I labored against the wind like Bob Seger and finished my 3.1 miles. Coincidentally, on my return to the starting point I passed a group of people taking photos for, I assume, an engagement. The happy couple posed against a tree by the lake while a few friends loitered nearby, waiting for the photographer to finish so they could all get out of the cold.

Later I was off to Ducky’s Formal Wear for final fitting of my tuxedo (first time in a true monkey suit). As I wrap this up, the rehearsal is half an hour away. Let the fun begin.

Today's Stats
Temp: 33 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weekly Total: 11.1 miles
Treasure: Zilch


iPod Playlist (80s Dance Mix):
Prove Your Love – Taylor Dayne
I Wanna Be a Cowboy – Boys Don’t Cry
Wild, Wild West – The Escape Club
I Want Your Sex (Parts 1&2) – George Michael
Tell it to My Heart – Taylor Dayne
Two of Hearts – Stacey Q

No comments:

Post a Comment