Monday, November 19, 2012

Better Than Nothin'



I stepped out into a mild sprinkle, almost a mist it was so light, but so minimal that a mist would involve more moisture. It didn’t last, not that I would have minded a light rain. Been a long time since I’ve run in the rain and it would have cooled me off a bit.

First can in a long time.
I hate running in this between weather. Cool enough that I doubt shorts and a sleeveless running shirt would suffice, but too warm really for wind pants and a running jacked (the kick-ass Monster Dash jacket). I guess after two and a half years I’m still too inexperienced to be able to judge the best attire for days like this. ER visits notwithstanding, I pretty much prefer hot. Well, OK, 70s is about perfect. Yada, yada, yada.

It’s been a while – more than a week since I last ran or wrote. Well, blog-wise anyway. Honestly, I’ll admit my recent blogs (Monster Dash entry notwithstanding) have been a little dull. It’s hard to write about running and finding stuff when you don’t find stuff. Cans aren’t much to write about, though I have done so on memorable days (87 cans in one run, a full can of Budweiser!), but I haven’t been carrying a bag on recent runs to even collect those. Today I did. And while I gathered only 5 cans and a couple of random castoffs, it was better than nothin’.

Let’s look at the castoffs. The “Country Sweethearts” CD likely won’t play. And I’ve no idea what’s on it Yeah, there’s Google, but I might just clean it up and see if it’ll play. I’ve been surprised by a couple of others that did play. 

The real find today, however, was a handwritten recipe card for someone’s “Date Puddin’.” Interestingly it was lying in the doorway of the now shuttered Rooster’s lunch spot on Seminary Street. I was gonna say it was ironic, but I like to use the word correctly when so many don’t. Hmmm. Maybe it is ironic to find a recipe card in the doorway of a defunct restaurant. You decide.

So what the hell is date pudding? Is it like figgy pudding? Check out the recipes online. I guess they look similar. I’m no cook and I haven’t the patience nor time to make a complete comparison. Call em cuisine cousins. And I see by the date pudding recipe at Taste of Home that it’s a holiday tradition for some. The timing then of finding this recipe the week of Thanksgiving is indeed coincidental, not ironic.

Hey, maybe my friend Jane Carlson would like to try this recipe for her great blog, Sweetened and Condensed, though it is not one of  Marilyn's.

I am glad that my lame leg is none the worse for the wear, despite my forgetting to use my knee support-thingy. I hate being lamey, and this buttock/hamstring soreness is wearing on me, as is the patellar ligament pain. Maybe it’s time for a professional opinion.

Today's Stats
Temp: 46 degrees F
Distance: 2.77 (3.03 with cool-down walk) miles
Treasure: 5 cans; 1 CD – “Country Sweethearts,” 1994; 1 recipe card, handwritten, for Date Puddin’

Seen during my cool-down walk along Main Street.
iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
Say You Love Me (live) – Fleetwood Mac
Narrow Way, Pt. 1 – Pink Floyd
Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
Heaven, Hell or Houston – ZZ Top
Ruby and Carlos – James McMurtry (Great lyrics, give it a listen)
Come Go with Me – Expose
All My Loving (mono) – The Beatles
Mohammed’s Radio(live) – Warren Zevon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link to the blog. I booked marked it. Looks like she has some great recipies.

    I recently had glute/hamstring problems. It was from my back & hips being off. An adjustment from the chiro cleared the problem up right away.

    ReplyDelete