Thursday, November 22, 2012

I Thank You



Two years ago today I began this journey, this exercise in writing to complement the physical exercise of running. Ironically, as noted then, that inaugural blog entry was written and posted on a day when I didn’t run. I was regular as clockwork back then, three times a week – Monday, Wednesday, Friday – and sometimes added a day, never subtracted one. 

Street socks. I left them where they lay.
It seems apropos, and admittedly rather cliché, to write about that for which I am thankful today. But it’s all I’ve got. It’s really a daunting task. Too easy to overlook something, seem to basic, miss the obvious. Write too little and it seems disingenuous. Write too much and it comes across as self-serving.

I’ve been through a lot in the two years since this thing came into being. I’m thankful for the friends and family who have stood by me and behind me and in front of me through it all. I’m thankful for the new friends I’ve made since then, people who saw something in me despite my faults and frailties and wanted to be a part of my life – and conversely to have me be a part of theirs.

I’m thankful for good health and a good job, even if both have their cracks. I’m thankful for people who don’t litter and for those who recycle. (I spend too much time complaining in my head and aloud about those who do the opposite.) I’m thankful for the Internet and for newspapers and books and music and the people who have the talent and the heart and the desire to make those things. I am thankful for the relative safety of my community and country.

And then there is the greatest blessing in my life: three smart, beautiful, caring and loving daughters. I’m thankful for them and their continued faith and devotion.

Today's Stats
Temp: 51 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 8 miles
Treasure: 15 cans; 1 pair of socks (left where they lay).

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
Reconsider Me – Steve Earle and Reckless Kelly (Zevon cover)
Songbird – Kenny G
Soul Kitchen – The Doors
Night Flight – Led Zeppelin
Desperados Under the Eaves (live) – Warren Zevon
Lady – Styx
O’Sullivan’s March – The Chieftans
Broken (New Version) – Lifehouse
Five O’Clock 500 – Alabama
More Than This – Roxy Music
Counting by tens – Discovery Toys Sounds Like Fun (How is this still in my iTunes?)
Other Possibilities – Rachel Portman (Chocolat soundtrack)
Castle Attack – Robert Kral (Angel TV series soundtrack)
Roll With the Changes – REO Speedwagon

No comments:

Post a Comment