Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sir Bix-a-lot and Miss Quick


You’re sure to see just about anything at the Bix 7 road race. Last year I spotted Sesame Street’s Elmo and Mr. Incredible. Back again this year were the Marilyn Monroes (a half dozen gals in matching white dresses – you know the one – and platinum wigs); and there was a veteran (I assume) in fatigues and bearing a POW-MIA flag on a staff; a superhero family; St. Patrick; Tweety Bird and a cow (an odd couple to be sure); and a giant spine (on behalf of Palmer Chiropractic), though I don’t think the vertebra made the run.

Post-race, still looking pretty fresh.
Those are just a handful of the costumed crazies running 7 miles uphill and down. (At least it was a beautiful, temperate day.) Among the 13,000-plus runners and walkers participating in the Quad City Times Bix 7, Quick Bix and Jr. Bix were toned athletes, elite runners from around the world, hardbodies and hardly bodies. There were beautiful men and women both in shape and only in appearance. There were average Joes and Janes. Kids, teens, adults, seniors. I passed one guy who easily topped 300 lbs. and whose legs were wobbly masses of cellulite. I wanted to take his picture and post it as a challenge: “He ran the Bix 7. Where were you?”

I know, running isn’t for everyone, and everyone who does has a different reason for running. I am just amazed at the people who turn out for an event like the Bix. Last year’s BIx topped 18,000 participants. This year’s was smaller, but seemed as crowded nonetheless.

I had the true pleasure this year of being joined by D2 (daughter No. 2, Amanda), making her first Bix appearance. You’re looking at one proud dad. Amanda, a college tennis player and no runner (she’ll tell you), opted for the 2-mile Quick Bix. (Finished in 21:25.) That’s still a challenge for a newbie – Brady Street hill is a bee-otch. But she’s no slouch; ran her first 5K (RR Days, a month ago) on no sleep (following in her DA dad’s footsteps – scary how alike we are). I think she’ll be running 7 miles next July.

Amanda relaxes after the Quick Bix.
Unfortunately, I’m not much of a team runner. Once the chute opens (8 minutes and more after the starting gun for those of us at the back of the pack) I’m off to find my pace and a ponytail. So, rather than running with my baby girl, I was off on my own without a glance back. Hey, she’s an adult. Of course, that didn’t happen for about a block after the starting line. We walked in a jam-packed bunch for the two or three blocks leading up to the chip-timer line and another block beyond before there was room enough to pick up our knees.

That’s why I call those of us not among the elite merely participants. There’s no competition but with yourself, at least to my mind. And that’s fine. It’s just a hell of an atmosphere to be in for a while.

Consider: The entire 7-mile route is lined with spectators. People site on lawns, visiting, partying, drinking, chatting, watching, cheering… Some know runners, some are just coming out of their homes to watch the spectacle. Several put up sprinklers to cool the runners. Some offer water and ice (in addition to the seven official water stations. Bands and DJs are well-spaced along the route. I thought it funny to hear two DJs playing Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire” on opposite sides of the street in the same block. Great song, that.

I thought that was awesome, Bix Number Six and First Time
Bix Runner.
There were country bands, thrashers, classic rockers. I can’t describe it adequately. I can’t make you feel it. You have to experience it. If you’re a runner and you haven’t done the Bix, do it. You’ll love it.

For those of you who know my modus operandi, I have to tell you the ponytails were plentiful, though they really didn’t factor in today. Thought I had one picked out early on, but I passed her too quickly. Then it was all about me. All about determination and willpower. I’ve said before I have no goals, but then admitted to secret aims. This year’s secret goals, which I shared with at least one person, were to better last year’s time and to not walk – keep running! I succeeded on both counts.

I was watching the tattooed girl on the right, but check
out the woman on the left. Props to her!
I’ll admit I was a little concerned when I crossed the finish at 1:18:10, but I assured myself (correctly) that was the elapsed time from the starting gun, not my chip time. And I was able to hold something in reserve. Race sponsors have convenient banners at ¼ and 1/8 mile to the finish. At 1/8 mile to the finish I fired the afterburners and gave my all. That put me in at 1:10:00 (70 minutes), just a few seconds behind fellow area runners Barb Ball and daughters Abby and Andrea. I didn’t see them ahead of me, though I did see them before the race started. Barb told me Thursday night at the Taste of Galesburg beer garden that they would be there, and suggested a mother-daughters angle for my blog, if I needed something about which to write. Well, you can see I came up with plenty, but I still mentioned them. Let me give a shout out to Jason Olmstead for finishing in 49:34! Holy cow!

Now, it is time for dinner and celebratory drinks.   

Today's Stats
Temp: 79 degrees F (after, maybe cooler at start)
Distance: 7 miles
Weekly Total: 17.24
Treasure: 1 white hand towel (Mainstays brand).

Bib: 10293
Weight: 191 lbs.
Time: 1:18:10
Chip Time: 1:10:00
Division: 324 of 555

The Palmer Chiropractic Spine!

No comments:

Post a Comment