Monday, July 2, 2012

After the Scare



I admit I was a little nervous to hit the streets again this morning for the first time since my dehydration debacle. A couple people told me afterward that once you've had an extreme episode like the one I experienced your body is more susceptible to it. I'm not sure I believe that because it just doesn't make sense to me. 

Somebody ran right out of his shoe!
Even so, I'm feeling a little light-headed as I write this, two hours after my run. But perhaps it's from lack of sleep; though I routinely get by on five or six hours. I did eat after the run — cottage cheese with peaches and a glass of orange juice — and I've been drinking water. And I felt great during the run. I mean really felt great. I missed running; wanted to run Saturday but never got around to it. So maybe it is just fatigue from a restless night and a 4.5-mile run.

I realized today that I've become rather selective in what I'll pick up while running. I saw three shoes and a glove today and picked up none of them. For one thing, the glove, a basic cotton work glove, appeared to have a hole in it. Besides, I don't need another glove. And what's the point of pickup up a random child's shoe or flip-flop or a size 9 New Balance running shoe that has no mate in sight?

Now, on the one hand I could just start picking up that trash for the purpose of cleaning up our streets. Sometimes I do that, but I'm not sure I want to do it every time I go out. I do pick up cans pretty much every time, though last week's dehydration day was a treasure-free experience by choice. Sometimes I just need to run. Well, it's good to vary the routine, eh?

Today's Stats
Temp: 71 degrees
Distance: 4.5 miles
Treasure: 13 cans, 3 shoes, 1 glove

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Searching for a Heart - Don Henley (cover)
The Night is Still Young - Billy Joel
Best is Yet To Come - USAF Band of Mid-America
Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
Rest Stop - Matchbox 20
For a Dancer (live) - Jackson Browne
One Lonely Night - REO Speedwagon
Somebody's Baby - Jackson Browne
You're Only Human - Billy Joel
Jack and Diane - John Mellencamp
Just Like a Pill - Pink

3 comments:

  1. I'm rather selective in what I will pick up. Sometimes it's just for the point of getting it home to take a picture. My ipod is busy doing it's Nike+ thing and if I take a picture it messes with my running stats. Can't have that now.

    I didn't comment on your last post. I was torn between being concerned and hitting you upside the head, you doe doe brain. Be careful & be smart! I don't want to lose a RUNNER friend now. Glad you made it through ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reprieve. I fully expected to feel your wrath at my stupidity.

      Delete
  2. ummm Kali is living proof of that. She became extremely dehydrated and spent 8 hours in ER getting fluids... Now she starts to get dehydrated, very easy. She has to hydrate all day for a soccer practice or game and hydrate a lot during. If not, she is sick and dehydration starts to set in. The football coaches tell the little guys to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate... all day, during and after. I know you can over hydrate, so be careful with that too.

    ReplyDelete