Friday, July 20, 2012

No Words

I like to believe I express myself pretty well with words. I am a writer. And yet, sometimes I’m left with nothing but the words of others to tell how I truly feel. It’s the whole “High Fidelity” Rob Gordon mix tape philosophy – using someone else’s poetry to express how you feel. It’s a tricky thing.

Boring stuff I found Thursday.
By the same token, I think you can find expression in almost any song, if you listen. Maybe the overarching message of the lyrics isn’t apropos. But maybe there’s a snippet of a line that says what you want. You can take that and make it your own for the moment.

With that in mind, I thought to focus on some lines from the random tunes that came up on Thursday morning’s run. Here we go…

Walk Between the Raindrops - James McMurtry
"Knowin' better never kept me out of trouble / I don't care, I'm gonna tell you anyway." — Because we often disregard warnings and throw caution to the wind. The excuse when we're caught? "It seemed like a good idea at the time." At least that’s what my friend Les Plume said after tossing a pumpkin down the stairwell of Corbin Hall at WIU.

Careless Whisper - Wham!
"To the heart and mind / ignorance is kind / there's no comfort in the truth / pain is all you'll find." – We say we want the truth, and I guess deep down we do. But truth hurts. Love hurts. Ignorance is bliss, if you can accept it and not fret and imagine.

Oye Como Va - Santana
I got nothin'. Spanish speakers, anybody care to translate for me?

It Won't Be Long - Eric Lindell
"All I can say, is I'd rather you here today / If I had it my way, you'd be here today." – Well, this is pretty obvious. When someone is absent all you want is presence.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion / Well, I tell them there's no problem, only solutions." – We’re all hard to figure out. Sometimes nobody knows our motivations. Hell, quite often I don’t know my own motivations. Is that necessarily a problem? Not if you’re in search of solutions – and they are out there.

"I appreciate the best, I'm settling for less / I'm looking for the next best thing." "All alone on the road to perfection. / At the inspection booth they tried to discourage me. / You can believe what you want, that'll never change it. / You have to come around eventually." – Not me, mister. Settling doesn’t work for me. I believe you set your sights and you strive. Because if you settle for the next best thing, ultimately you’ll never be happy; you’ll forever be wanting. Then again, in the follow-up line, you can believe what you want, whether it’s the perfection you seek in someone else or in you, reality is there to tell you the way it’s gonna be.

"You are like a hurricane, there's calm in your eye. / And I'm getting blown away / somewhere safer where the feeling stays. / I want to love you but I'm getting blown away." "I am just a dreamer / But you are just a dream." – Love. What a mess. It is like a storm, a violent, unpredictable thrashing. Oh, there’s calm there, but the tumult surrounding it is dangerous.

Arizona Skies - Los Lobos
Hmmm. Instrumental. Nothing for me to quote, being unable to transcribe. Sorry, I'm no Warren Zevon.

Phoenix Song - Harry & The Potters
"It won't be over til it's over, no it's we who will decide / when to stop the fight and get on with our lives." – It’s all up to you. Do you fight for it or do you let go and move on? I typically choose to fight. For what it’s worth.

Speech: Brian Epstein - The Beatles Anthology 1
"Well the recording test came and went. The people that decide about these things at Decca said no. Well, you can imagine I was more worried about what I was going to say to the boys, having built up their hopes. ... In the morning I took a cab to the EMI office block in Manchester Square, London, to meet the man who would, in less than two years, produce 16 number one discs by my artists." – This isn’t music, but it’s what happens when you let a machine decide what you hear. It’s about music and it says the dolts at Decca missed out on The Beatles. Too bad for them.

"I'm so tired of being lonely / I still have some love to give. / Won't you show me that you really care?" "Everybody's got somebody to lean on. / Put your body next to mine and dream on." – Of all the songs I heard Thursday morning, this one spoke most clearly to me. I think it’s self-explanatory.

Two of Hearts - Stacey Q
"Before I met you I was fallin' apart." — You know, it's a little like the "Jerry Maguire" line, "You complete me."

Today's Stats
Temp: 73 degrees F
Distance: 5.12 miles
Weekly Total: 8.94 miles
Treasure: 1 white wash cloth; 1 broken bicycle flasher light; 8 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
See above

No comments:

Post a Comment