Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Run on the Fourth of July

It's Independence Day here in America, land of the free, home of the brave. There's plenty to complain about and plenty for which to be thankful. I try to keep the complaining to a minimum, but trust me, I hear you and I know a little about what's wrong with this country. I also know a little about what's right with it.

When I headed out this morning at 6:45, before the heat hit the top of the charts, I had a route in mind that would take me to a treasure I spotted while driving with my daughter Amanda after dinner last night. The start was interrupted as I paused to pick up a city garbage can at Ferris and Seminary (by Innkeeper's Coffee) that mischief makers had toppled into the street.


This was no isolated incident, however. Across the street in front of Breslin's Floor Coverings a terra cotta planter lay on its side in the gutter, dirt spilled on the pavement. I righted it and tried to roll it up the curb to its former place of repose. Too heavy to move it uphill.

Off I went, then, to be about my business. Imagine my surprise to discover the shenanigans weren't confined to Seminary Street. Two more planters — heavy, cast iron buggers — were tipped on their sides on Main Street in front of the former Sears store. On my cool-down later I found that another was spilled in front of Galesburg Antiques Mall Co. A woman was shoveling up the dirt on the sidewalk.

Those monsters were even heavier than the terra cotta planter and I failed to pull them upright. Probably a two- or three-person task. Need to work on my upper body.

I guess hijinks is part of our freedom. Another word for it is vandalism. Maybe nothing was damaged and only a little dirt was spilled. I guess it could have been worse. Of course, I'll bet the business owners who have to right those heavy planters and clean up the dirt in this heat won't find it very funny. And it gave me pause to reflect on my own deeds.

Once in college, stinging from a love gone bad or something, I felt the need to cut loose one night and cause a little mischief of my own. Roaming the south end of the Western Illinois University campus near Corbin Hall, my abode, I thought it would be cool and mysterious to upend a couple of bike racks.

No damage was done, though I suppose my actions could have endangered others. I would have felt terrible to hear some poor schmuck was crushed by a falling bike rack (and I'd be in prison, too). And really, what's the point? Hardly a positive exercise of freedom. Not that everything we do has to be constructive.

OK, clearly I'm rambling now with less direction than most of my runs. Oh, the desired treasure that led me east on Main Street to Farnham Street was a pair of red shorts in the road. Alas, they're a child's size. They'll be washed and go on the free trade table in my apartment lobby.

Today's Stats
Temp: 75 degrees (iPod) 79 degrees (radio)
Distance: 4.0 miles
Weekly Total: 8.5 miles
Treasure: 1 pair Adidas shorts (red, child size 4); 2 white wash cloths or hand towels (left behind); 1 grungy granny bra (left behind).

iPod Playlist (Shuffle)
Toes - Zac Brown Band
Same Old Story - Garth Brooks
Fortres Around Your Heart - Sting
Brain Damage - Pink Floyd
Waiting for a Girl Like You - Foreigner
Victim of the Game - Garth Brooks
Give Me Back My Name - Talking Heads
Stuck on You - Lionel Richie
The Lazarus Heart - Sting
Memory - The Call
Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police (Strange version)

No comments:

Post a Comment