Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ready to Bix it Up


So, here it is 11:32 p.m. and I’ve not been too busy today (Tuesday), but somehow too busy to write. Good thing I’m not a freelancer or a novelist with a deadline to meet on his own. 

Found 2 CDs today and, hey, it rained!
That's a puddle on the ground.
Got up and ran this morning and followed up with a short day at work. Don’t actually get two full days off a week anymore. One full day and two halves, supposedly. Hey, I’m employed, so I can’t complain. Right? So I napped after work and then cleaned my parents’ house – my part-time gig to earn some beer money.

And then I did nothing for a day and a half but work and go out to be among people. Now it’s Thursday and I did my final training run for the Bix 7 this Saturday in Davenport. I’m feeling pretty psyched right now. That’s good. The endorphins didn’t do their job Tuesday. What a letdown. I needed the boost and got nothing. Not that I regretted the run, but I didn’t get the full benefit and I was therefore disappointed.

Even today, while I’m uplifted, I have nothing really to write about. I mean I do, but it’s more personal. I’ll keep it in reserve. I will share my frustration with the Kindle Touch 3G I bought a couple weeks ago. It remains mostly unused. It cannot play the audio book I bought some time ago through iTunes (because of iTunes protection). It cannot read the ebook edition of “The Hobbit” I bought several months ago because it can’t read the format and I can’t convert it because the distributor has protected it. My initial effort to download the software to convert the ebook to a format readable by the Kindle resulted in the installation of a malicious browser add-on called Babylon toolbar that I am having difficulty removing.

A friend told me public domain books (mostly literature published long ago) are available for free. I decided to look into that the other day. Thought I’d download H.G. Wells’ “The Island of Dr. Moreau.” When I went to do so, I was met with a message that some readers indicated there were problems with the text or that it might not be complete or something so the download was unavailable.

So, I have the three texts that came preloaded on the Kindle: the user manual and two dictionaries. Grrr.

Next entry: I get my kicks doin’ the Bix!

Today’s Stats (July 26)
Temp: 73 degrees F
Distance: 5.12 miles
Weekly Total: 10.24 miles
Treasure: 2 CDs (JCole – Cole World: The Sideline Story; homemade Mom’s CD).

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
A Murder of One – Counting Crows
Oh Girl – Paul Young
Slipstream – Jethro Tull
I Can’t Get Started – Charlie Parker (skipped)
So What – Miles Davis (skipped)
Cordy Meets Fred – Robert Kral (Angel television series soundtrack)
We Will Not Be Lovers – The Waterboys
Only the Good Die Young – Billy Joel
Haven’t We Been Here Before – Styx
Green Earrings – Steely Dan
Play it All Night Long (live) – Warren Zevon
Spell No. 30 (For the Judgment of the Dead) – Alberto Acosta
Soda and Salt – James McMurtry
Tin Man – The Avett Brothers
Murder – David Gilmour

Today's Stats (July 24)
Temp: 77 degrees F
Distance: 5.12 miles
Treasure: No pickup today.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Tell Me What You See – The Beatles
Tomorrow Never Knows – The Beatles
An Innocent Man – Billy Joel
Pursuance – John Coltrane (Skipped)
Right Here Now – James McMurtry
For the Love of a Princess – James Horner (Braveheart soundtrack)
Mr. Roboto – Styx
Luther Played Guitar – Stan Ridgway
Have Mercy – Richard Marx
Keep Me In Your Heart (Strings Only) – Van Dyke Parks (cover of Zevon)
Can’t Fight ThisFeeling – REO Speedwagon
Hold On - Yes

2 comments:

  1. This should keep you busy reading on your kindle:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/

    And to help get rid of that toolbar:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2011/08/17/how-to-uninstall-the-babylon-toolbar-completely/

    Or malware in general:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp_form

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck, Rob Buck! I look forward to you blog after you kick the Bix in the A**!

    ReplyDelete