Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cinderella Story

Finally, the storybook magic I've been looking for may have landed at my feet. Returning to work Sunday night after dinner with a friend, I spied from my position in the shotgun seat something in the gutter that would require later investigation. 

As I craned my head to see if I could distinguish any detail from the dark form by the curb, I let out an excited "Ooh!" 

"What?" Trixy asks.

"I don't know, but there's something in the street I'll have to check out later."

"You'll have to come this way on your run," she encouraged. She's all about making me work.

Well, I ran indoors Sunday night after work, though it was nice enough to run outdoors (over 30 degrees anyway). But I pedaled past the spot on North Prairie Street Monday afternoon after returning a movie to the video store ("Hobo with a Shotgun" starring Rutger Hauer). 

The dark blob from the night before turned out to be a big black boot (I had suspected a shirt). It would seem the modern Cinderella prefers a thigh-high black velvet boot to a teensy glass slipper. And she sports a size 10. 

Let the fitting quest begin!

I've already been on the fitting quest, sans shoe. No wonder it's been so difficult. Match.com (or simply Match, as the cool and initiated call it) tries a lot of different angles to help you find, well, a match. But shoe size isn't one of the bits of information factored into their calculations. 

Match is more concerned with birth order, body type, interests, pet preference and a load of other insightful information. 

I have made a new friend through Match, so that's cool. And she's pretty much great. I'm helping her hone her skills as a smart-ass. She's teaching me to not be a dating dolt (she's now my Match guru) and periodically threatens me with violence as a means of motivation for various purposes. I like to call her Trixy.

Come back later for part 2 of this compelling tale of love Lost and Found. In the meantime, let me tell you about today’s finds (and a little more about the boot). First item of note today was a nearly empty punch-pack of The Pill. The fourth week, labeled “inactive” was left unused. Huh.

So, what are the consequences of not taking the inactive pills in the birth control pack? I could look it up, but I’m aiming for a little interaction here. Was it a wise move for some gal to ditch the fourth week?

Back to the boot. I felt the need to model it somehow for a good photo, though the shot of it as it lay in the gutter is pretty detailed. What better model (well, other than an actual Amazon) than the wonderful “Christmas Story” leg lamp I made dad for Christmas back in 1997. I biked over to my folks’ house where the leg lamp is on display year-round (because it’s pretty much the greatest thing I ever built and an awesome Christmas gift). I taped the boot high on the leg to display its full length. Wow! Can you say, “She’s a beauty”? More like "indescribably beautiful!"

Sidebar: Trixy just threatened me with violence again, publicly this time, for daring to correct her spelling on Facebook. Would you believe she’s never seen “A Christmas Story”?

My brother had never seen “A Christmas Story” either, before I delivered the leg lamp, complete in a big box marked “FRAGILE” (that’s Italian, ya know). He didn’t get the joke at first. He has been redeemed. Someday Trixy will be, too.

Today's Stats
Temp: 43 degrees F
Distance: 4 miles
Treasure: Birth control pills (only fourth week, inactive, remaining); 1 grey magic glove; 36 cans (a regular cananza!).

I don't think he was playing.
iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Two of Hearts – Stacey Q
I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You – Alan Parsons Project
Levelland(live) – James McMurtry
That’s How Strong My Love Is (live) – The Rolling Stones
Count On Me – Whitney Houston and Cece Winans
DancingIn The Dark – Diana Krall
Willie McBride (live) – The Don’t Be Brothers
Drunken Lady of the Morning – Michael Martin Murphey
Time and Time Again – Counting Crows
FiveO’Clock 500 – Alabama
Yer Blues – The Beatles.

2 comments:

  1. The last/4th week aka inactive pill is just a sugar pill. You are suppose to take it to simply stay in the habit of being on the pill. Hormonally it has no effect on your body. Who knew that a woman with 6 kids KNOWS all about birth control?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew somebody would have the answer. Never suspected it would be you. :) Yeah, I knew it was a placebo, but I didn't know if there was some other purpose that could cause problems if not followed. Thanks for the education. Love to learn.

    ReplyDelete