Thursday, December 15, 2011

Faster Than a Couch Potato!

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating. Sometimes it takes a friend or family member to remind us of the obvious. This time the word came from my friend and cheerleader Carmen. (Read her awesome blog here.) She periodically harasses me about running – more precisely my lack thereof. Carm’s been busy and hasn’t been after me to move my legs lately. Actually she usually only brings it up after I do, noting the restraint she’s shown by not making snarky comments on Facebook or sending threatening emails.

Question is, will D3 wear the found shorts or will I have to
give them away? They're Nike and I bet they'll clean up well.
Carm expressed surprise (and I inferred disappointment) to learn late in the week that I had been on vacation of late. The question arose the night before my return to work. After my confession that I had been quite lazy on said vacation, not running more than once during the week and a half off, Carm said we should have run “so I could kick your butt.”

I’m not sure intimidation and humiliation are successful motivators, though they might be for some. I’ve already acknowledged Carm’s superiority in the running field. In a couple years, or sooner if I feel so inclined, I may put her in her place with a demonstration of my gift-wrapping prowess at the GHS Band Gift Wrap station at Sandburg Mall. (I have years of experience and am quite the pro.)

But I have not forgotten the first run I made with Carm in the mix at Lake Storey with the Go Outside and Play bunch last summer. She trailed the pack for the first 2 miles. I was second from the back. At the 2.25 mile mark (according to the painted numbers on the path) she sauntered past me. Then, as I crossed the berm at the west edge of the lake, Carm was the first to meet me on the return leg (I had yet to reach the turnaround). At least three other runners had been ahead of us; they must have taken a good rest at the turnaround.

I mentioned that to Carm this morning. She said it’s all about pacing. “I have a steady pace, just slow,” I replied.

Carm: “Nothing wrong with ‘slow.’ Besides, you're faster than the person sitting on the couch!”

Well, yes. And therein lay my inspiration. Something else I’ve said before: It’s not the speed. It’s not the distance. It’s in the doing. Just run.

Today's Stats
Temp: 40 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Treasure: 1 pair shorts (Nike, girls' size M, 10-13, white); 2 cigarette hard packs; 21 cans

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Hold On - Yes (Love the syncopation in this song!)
Cheap Day Return - Jethro Tull
Rock of Ages - Def Leppard
Other Possibilities - Rachel Portman (Chocolat soundtrack)
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
Terminal Frost - Pink Floyd
Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - The Yardbirds
Toxic - Glee Cast (God, found myself likin' Britney.)
Concerning Hobbits - Howard Shore (The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack) (Just check it out - embrace your inner nerd)
A Bird That Whistles - Joni Mitchell
Friends - Page and Plant
I Don't Wanna - The Call (Among my Top 5 all time; wish there were video of the band.)

No comments:

Post a Comment