Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mind your step

An important lesson Boy Scouts learn about hiking is to not step on logs, branches and loose rocks on the trail. These obstacles can been unstable and lead to twisted ankles or worse. It's best to walk around or carefully step over. I guess the same lesson applies to running, as I was reminded tonight.

Instead of altering my course to avoid the branch across the sidewalk I decided to extend my stride and attempt to gracefully leap over it. Bad plan. I didn't stumble, but my left shoe caught on some of the twigs sprouting from the main branch and spun it around into the back of my left ankle, leaving a nasty looking scrape. Actually it wasn't that bad, but with dirt and sweat and fresh, caked blood it looked pretty gnarly. Washed up, not so bad. Still, a lesson relearned.

Today's Stats
Temp: 63 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Treasure: 1 spoon; 1 blue pencil; 1 John Deere lawn tractor product info placard; 1 commemorative state quarter (2006, Denver mint, South Dakota); 1 scraped ankle; 23 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
John Henry - Bruce Springsteen
We Work the Black Seam - Sting
Time for Me to Fly - REO Speedwagon
El Fuego - Santana
Walk This Way - Aerosmith
Knife and Fork - Stan Ridgway
Don't Take Me Alive - Steely Dan
Oooh Baby - C+C Music Factory
Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass
Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business) - Aretha Franklin
Lovefool (Snooper Version) - Snooper Persson
The Long Riders - Ry Cooder
Carry That Weight - The Beatles
The Stealer (live) - The Faces

No comments:

Post a Comment