Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Against the wind

"Well, I'm older now and still runnin' against the wind."

There really wasn't a strong wind today, but the breeze out of the west bit with nippy little kitten teeth in the open space of the Cottage Hospital parking lot. And with the thermometer hanging at 21 degrees F, well, I can say today's finds were more of the intangible variety. Running in the cold, you'll discover heart and guts. I guess I didn't exactly find those things just today -- I believe I've exhibited spirit and intestinal fortitude before -- but I certainly plumbed them from the recesses where they were lurking.

Aside from that, I found and saw a lot of trash today. Picked up a flattened and frozen terry cloth glove (a wash glove perhaps), a white knit glove and a brilliant blue bow (it might just end up on somebody's Christmas gift in a few weeks). I also picked up a plastic six-pack ring; those things are deadly to wildlife and it really pisses me off when people pitch 'em without cutting 'em up first. Grrrr!

Trash spotted today: lots of aluminum cans (Budweiser, Coors Light, Miller High Life, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Monster energy drink, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Keystone Light), a tiny 5-Hour energy burst bottle, two Swisher Sweets boxes and an empty Newport pack. Newports are the most popular smokes among litter-bugs, followed by Marlboro.
Snow? No, just butts from the smokers
at Cottage Hospital.
 
Today's stats:
Temp: 21 degrees F
Distance: 6 miles
Treasure: 1 blue bow, 1 terry cloth glove, 1 knit glove, 1 butt-load of trash.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles
More Than a Feeling - Boston
It Could Have Been Me - The Call
Hasten Down the Wind - Warren Zevon
My Vietnam - Pink
Bring the Boys Back Home - Pink Floyd
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Checklist - Ryan Patrick McCullough
My Life - Billy Joel
Smooth - Carlos Santana (Ft. Rob Thomas)
Falling Slowly - The Swell Season
I'll Believe You When - Matchbox Twenty
Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
Nobody Home - Pink Floyd
Wonderful - Rob Thomas

4 comments:

  1. Why isn't this column entitled "Buck Off"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Kent's title suggestion. Also, are you getting a share of Ryan's royalties for the plug?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sasser: Not yet. I'm on the lookout, though. @ Melissa: I'll talk to Ryan about that. He may need a publicist someday.

    ReplyDelete