Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Don't Pass Me By

"... Don't make me cry, don't make me blue."

So pleaded Ringo Starr in his first solo composition back in 1968. So, too, sang dozens of aluminum cans nestled in recycling bins along my running route today. But I ignored their siren call, believing that it wouldn't be right to build my collection by swiping from the curbside bins. (That attitude may change.) In part it seems like stealing. Sure, the residents who put them out don't want to cash in, but as aluminum is the only recyclable that pays its own way, it would be cutting in on the recycler's profits. Not to defend the "big" company, but if recycling is less profitable, it might go by the wayside.

As it is, I gathered up 10 cans from the ground, so that's something. And the Chevy truck hub cover I spotted in front of Churchill Junior High on Monday was still there, though it had been moved -- some kid probably investigated and tossed it aside. The bulky, sturdy-looking cover is made of high-impact plastic. Its composition led me to ponder: "Like a Rock" vs. "Built Ford Tough." The Ford hubcap I found in mid-November is made of metal. It's dinged and scuffed, but I'll bet it would withstand more abuse than the plastic part from Chevrolet. Probably that's a moot point; what matters is that both were dislodged from their wheels, so maybe the toughness needs to go into the attachment mechanics.

It was quite a haul today. Mostly trash stuff, but interesting tidbits nonetheless. I find I am still compelled to pick up losing lottery tickets in hopes that they're eligible for a second chance drawing. I guess if nothing else I'm clearing a little bit of litter from the streets of my hometown.

Today's Stats
Temp: 27 degrees F
Distance: 6.22 miles
Weekly Total: 11.6 miles
Treasure: 1 child's mitten, blue camo pattern; 1 Chevy pickup hubcap; 1 No. 2 pencil from Staples; 1 plastic shower curtain ring; 1 Master padlock (maybe I can get a key for it); 2 Holiday Cash Illinois Lottery scratch-off tickets (losers); 1 plastic bubble container from a gumball/prize machine; 1 black nylon "do-rag"; 1 black sun-visor CD holder by Bell; 1 plastic shopping bag from Bergner's.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
18 Wheeler - Pink
Tell Me What You See - The Beatles
And It Spread - The Avett Brothers
Caring Is Creepy - The Shins
Let The Day Begin - The Call
And A Bang On The Ear - The Waterboys
The Only Living Boy In New York - Simon & Garfunkel
Vera - Pink Floyd
Captain Jack - Billy Joel
Werewolves Of London - Warren Zevon
Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me - Warren Zevon
Mr. Jones - Counting Crows
And So It Goes - Billy Joel
An Innocent Man - Billy Joel
Bed of Lies - Matchbox Twenty

No comments:

Post a Comment