Tuesday, December 3, 2013

On Love and Running


Long-distance running, which for me is anything over a few miles, requires stamina, determination, dedication, drive, commitment … and pacing. You don’t want to start with a burst and not be able to finish. You have to save something for that final burst as you approach home. Love is like that, too. When you’re in it for the long haul, you need to pace yourself.

When it comes to running, pacing is no problem for me. I plod along like the proverbial tortoise, or like Clint Eastwood, as I’ve said before. My shortcomings are in my physical capabilities. My aching left knee is a liability. And yet, today, I found my rhythm and I just kept going. I dream of doing that and hitting a new PR for distance. I’d like to do 15 miles. There, I’ve stated a goal in public. That’s a rarity.

The analogy isn’t perfect. And I’ll skew it because I can’t keep anything straight. For example, I’ll jump from running to diving. As in, when it comes to love, I tend to dive in. The ripples on the pond tend to frighten away the native wildlife. Do you see how I’ve twisted that?

My point is, relationships take time. Like distance running, they require stamina, determination, dedication, drive and commitment. And pacing. I’m finally learning that. And finally putting it into practice.

Anyway, that’s just what was running through my head this morning as I ran all over town. No doubt it was because the first three songs to come up on the shuffle were about love. Maybe next time I’ll hit double digits. Wish me well.

Today's Stats (Dec. 3, 2013)
Temp: 38 degrees F
Distance: 8.4 miles
Weekly Total: 8.4 miles
Treasure: No treasure today

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
If I Fall – Matchbox Twenty
The Fool – Trampled Under Foot
In The Waiting Line – Zero 7
Oooh Baby – C+C Music Factory
Photograph – Def Leppard
No Better Place – Fountains of Wayne
Animal – Neon Trees
Sister Golden Hair – America
Light Up My Room – Barenaked Ladies
I Try – Macy Gray
New Day – Robbie Seay Band
Gulf Road – James McMurtry
The Wanton Song – Led Zeppelin
83 – John Mayer
Grace Like Rain – Todd Agnew
Rain King – Counting Crows
Boom Boom Mancini – Warren Zevon
Fireflies – Owl City
Eleanor Rigby – The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment