Wednesday, August 7, 2013

God on Every Corner



There’s no shortage of churches in this town, that’s for sure. I discovered three today I’d not seen before, though one I’d heard of. I made it a point to take a different route yet again and the turns took me down Holton Street, north from West Third Street. 

That’s when I stumbled upon Sacred Church of God. That’s a new one to me. I’m sure I’ve seen the name and even a photo before in the course of putting together the Directory of Weekly Services page in The Register-Mail the past several years. But I have no memory of it. The building is nothing to marvel at, but I like the sign on the north side: The answer is “Prayer” Join Us Every Wednesday 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. For One Hour Of Prayer. “Let’s shape the world together.” Church signs have some great messages.

Around the corner and half a block west on First Street I encountered Full Gospel Church, pastored by Jon Sibley. That one I’d heard of, but I had no idea where it was located. 
  
The real surprise came a few blocks north on West Berrien Street, just west of South Henderson Street. A huge, colorful signs declares the name in Spanish: Iglesia Cristiana Evangelica (Evangelical Christian Church); and under that: Jesucristo Es La Respuesta (Jesus Christ is the answer). The building isn’t in the best condition, but it has a neat cross of glass blocks laid into its front above the door. I wonder if this is a relatively new church or if it has a long history of serving Galesburg’s Hispanic community.

These little neighborhood churches remind me of the old neighborhood grocery stores that once dotted the town. There is an abundance of large mainstream churches in the downtown area (Central Congregational, First Presbyterian, First United Methodist, First Lutheran, Trinity Lutheran, First Christian, Corpus Christi). Mount Zion Missionary Baptist is nestled in there with the big boys, but it fits the little neighborhood church mold from what I’ve seen (it’s right across from my old apartment building).

I wonder how these tiny churches are doing? Do their small structures belie abundant congregations? Or are the pews largely empty come Sunday morning, leaving a handful of folks to fill the offering plate and carry out what mission they can with limited numbers and dollars? 

My remaining route – which disappointingly didn’t measure as far as I thought it should – took me past Temple Sholom, Galesburg’s synagogue, as well as First Church of the Open Bible, Greater Heights Worship Center and Church of Christ Scientist. Open Bible used to bring a smile to my face with the clever wordplay on its sign (today was a thank you for community support of their huge back-to-school block party). And it’s interesting to note that God has reclaimed his old home at Greater Heights, most recently the longtime rehearsal facility for Prairie Players Civic Theater; the building was a church years ago, before PPCT’s occupancy. I’ve always loved the twin firs and massive columns across the front of the Christian Science Church at Broad and Losey.

Galesburg has scores more churches of a variety of denominations. They make an interesting study, I think. Oh, and I’ve been through the doors of a few, too.

Today's Stats
Temp: 74 degrees F
Distance: 3.7 miles
Weekly Total: 3.7 miles
Treasure: 9 cans; 1 zebra patter flyswatter (found while biking the route for photos).

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Hard Day (Shep Pettibone Remix) – George Michael
Wish You Were Here – Avril Lavigne
Jack And Diane – John Mellenamp
All My Love – Led Zeppelin
I Need You – The Beatles
Don’t Stop – Fleetwood Mac
If I Fell – The Beatles
Pressure – Billy Joel
A Thousand Years – Christina Perri

No comments:

Post a Comment