Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chasin’ Tail and Grabbin’ Ass



Let’s get this out of the way right off. I know somebody will be offended, disappointed (in me) or embarrassed (for me) by that title. I don’t care. Titillation is fun. And if I have to resort to cheap thrills to attract a reader, so be it. This is all about being me, and I find that shit funny. Now, those of you gutter minds who assumed I’d be writing about ponytails or bootylicious running babes are in for a disappointment – or maybe you’re relieved. Maybe you have a gutter mind but always hope to rise above it. Still, the gutter was the inspiration for this jaunt, in a way. 

Took a rare bike ride with my friend from church Scott H. on Monday morning. I love biking, but I mostly enjoy the lackadaisical pace of my 3-speed commute to work or to do errands and just take in the world around me. I’m not opposed to pushing myself on a bike, but it’s a rare occurrence and, frankly, the riding position on a road bike is uncomfortable for me: hunched over, head forced back, neck pinched. Ouch. But it’s good to do some distance and even add a little speed from time to time, though I did a fair amount of coasting, too.

Anyway, Scott and I did 18 miles. That’s a stretch of the legs for a cruiser guy. Well, Scott’s idea was to kind of do the perimeter of town, so we headed out Monmouth Boulevard to Linwood Road, north to Fremont Street, west to Log City Trail, around Lake Storey, through Lincoln Park and Hawthorne Centre, and on east to Farnham Street and Fifth, before going our separate ways at my house on Fourth. Somewhere out on Monmouth Boulevard in the vicinity of the former Maytag or maybe before I spotted what looked like a plush toy in the gutter. See, there it is, the gutter inspiration. The thing was long and furry looking, like maybe a ferret. I almost stopped for it then, but being on the road bike I had no way to carry it. And I didn’t want to hold us up.

Near the 16-mile mark of our ride we stopped at the Admiral James Stockdale Military Museum in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall on Michigan Avenue and were treated to a tour by a Vietnam vet. The museum is a work in progress, but it has some nice stuff and interesting stories. Those guys are doing a hell of a job, just as they did in service to our country. Tip o’ the cap to them.

When I finally made up my mind to run today, I decided to head out in search of that faux road kill. I knew it would be a productive run from the start because I’d seen a couple gloves on the W.C. Jackson Bridge in the past week. I purposely ran on the road bridge – as opposed to the protected sidewalk where I usually travel – so I could grab the gloves and the cans I’d noticed. It was more lucrative than I expected. The brown cotton garden glove had a mate I hadn’t seen nearby. Always nice to have a complete pair. The leather work glove will come in handy for messing in the fireplace this winter.

What I didn’t know awaited me in the grassy terrace at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Academy and Third, was the cute Ass T-shirt. This classic kitsch is decorated with five cartoon donkeys (asses), each with a different expression and label: smart, wise, lazy, kiss and dumb. The shirt, a medium, is in good shape and should come clean in the wash. Somebody’s gonna have a nice gift someday.

OK, that’s the end of the fun. It was a blistering 85 degrees, which felt much cooler under the breezy clouds in my backyard just before I took to the pavement. I labored out Monmouth Boulevard, keeping an eagle eye on the opposite gutter for the mysterious plush roadkill. Nothing but cans. On the return I did come across a strange object that looked like a messed-up long wig. Perhaps it was some frayed packing or strapping material from the nearby Midwest Manufacturing. It wasn’t in the gutter, but it’s possible it had blown around since yesterday and was my sought-after stuffed weasel. Guess I’ll never know.

I did score a load of cans, a good pair of gloves and a funny shirt, so it wasn’t a total loss. And I’ve already confessed on Facebook that I walked a portion of the last third of the route. So sue me. I feel pretty good about today.
  
Today's Stats
Temp: 85 degrees F
Distance: 4.78 miles
Weekly Total: 4.78 miles (22.85 if you count my 18.07 miles biking Monday)
Treasure: Shirt of Asses (medium); 1 pair cotton gloves (brown); one sueded leather work glove, right (grey/blue);1 purple Funeral car flag; 51 cans.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Mr. Jones – Counting Crows
Reunion – Collective Soul
Whiskey, Whiskey,Whiskey – John Mayer
That Thing You Do! – The Wonders
3x5 (live) – John Mayer
Shoot To Thrill – AC/DC
I’ve Got A Feeling – The Beatles
The Night Is Still Young – Billy Joel
Nobody’s Home – Avril Lavigne
Goving Over to That Side (live studio chatter) – Ryan Adams
Helter Skelter (live) – U2
Captain Jack – Billy Joel (Be patient for the song in this video.)
What’s On You Mind (Pure Energy) – Information Society
Venus – Bananarama
Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
Hooked On A Feeling – Blue Swede

No comments:

Post a Comment