Sunday, July 28, 2013

Just for the Record


Saturday’s Bix 7 was one for the record books. I’m not talking about time or number of runners. Bix 39 was the coldest Bix yet, The temperature at start time was 57 degrees, trouncing the record 61 set in 2004. Let me tell you, it was chilly.

Amanda and I at the start.

OK, look, I’ve run in near-zero temps. I did a 5K on New Year’s Day with snow and ice on the course and the thermometer hugging 20. I’m no pussy. But this weather in July is downright odd and it’s a middle-temp that’s hard to dress for. Here’s why: While shorts and a T-shirt will be comfy once you get your blood up, you’re literally chillin’ before the race begins. And afterwards, when you’ve worked up a sweat and are suddenly stationary, swilling water, soda, coconut water (kinda ick) and scarfin’ down fruit and snacks, the wind off the river sucks the sweat away and cools like a natural air conditioner.

I had it easy in a T-shirt and shorts. Amanda, D2 as you may know her, was in shorts and a sports bra. I saw girls in micro shorts and skimpy sports bras and shirtless guys parading around like it was a normal Bix year with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s. Brrrrrrrrr!

Ponytail at Mile 5
Well, we survived the chill and had a great time, if not scoring great times. Plenty of friends figured I’d be on track for a PR (that’s personal record for those of you not familiar with running shorthand) thanks to the ideal conditions. Alas, Mother Nature is only part of the equation. I clocked my slowest time in three goes. I’m not really bothered by that, though I am thinking of putting some serious effort into Bix 40 next year. Amanda, too, was 5 minutes off her time last year. Maybe cold air slows you down?

If that’s the case, I have a feeling I’ll be faster next year. Surely we can’t have two in a row with fall temps in July? Cross your fingers that my knees still work by then.

Today's Stats
Temp: 57 degrees F
Distance: 7 miles
Weekly Total: 7 miles
Treasure: Passed three dropped headbands - hard to stop and not cause a pile-up.

Race Stats
Time: 1:15:47
Split: 38:19
Top of Brady Street on the way down.
Split Pace: 10:57
Pace: 10:50
Overall: 6,902 of 10,677
Male: 4,166 of 5,405
M45-49: 322 of 436

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Somebody’s Coming – Todd Snider
The Difficult Kind – Sheryl Crow
Missing You – John Waite
Max’s Theorem – James McMurtry
Live Like You Were Dying – Kris Allen
Cold Roses – Ryan Adams
Red Dress – James McMurtry
Safe –
Baby Is A Sociopath – Jonny Burke
New Moon On Monday – Duran Duran
Brain Damage – Pink Floyd
Afternoon Delight – Starland Vocal Band
Saint Mary Of The Woods – James McMurtry
Wish You Were Here – Avril Lavigne
Indian Reservation – Paul Revere & The Raiders
I Was In The House When The House Burned Down – Warren Zevon
I Just Want To See His Face – The Rolling Stones
Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
Reality – Newsboys
Have A Cigar – Pink Floyd
My Hometown – Bruce Springsteen

Remembered to pick up my 2-year pin; forgot last year.


3 comments:

  1. Hey, I was in a tank top and shorts, and I was only 2 minutes off of last years time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessin' it's more likely the extra 10 pounds I'm carrying and aching knees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of it has to do with the crowd. You almost have to be unbelievable agressive and do some serious cut & weave to make a difference in your time down.

    I ran my first Bix in 2004. I don't remember it being that "cold". Although I ran in a full Statue of Liberty of costume & remember it not being that bad. Could be why. My other Bix running was in 2010 where it was pouring down rain the entire race. Will have to think about doing it next year. I'm not a fan of the crowds, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete