Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bridge Bonanza


I don’t recall the prezact order in which I found Monday’s goodies, but I’m pretty sure most of the haul came from the County Highway 10 bridge over the BNSF classification yard. I know the license plates were and I think the wrench was found there, too. The washcloth was along South Henderson Street, not far from the curve before the western base of the bridge. The pennies, I’m not so sure. I did pass up two identical washers, roughly penny-size, on the bridge. The cans covered the route.


For those of you who stumbled on that first sentence, “prezact” is a word coined by a friend (and undoubtedly scores of others unknown to me) that unnecessarily combines “precise” and “exact.” Prezactamundo is another variant. It usually takes the adverbial form, “prezactly.” I like it because it combines the American common-usage “exactly” with the Swedish usage, “precise,” pronounced “pray-cease.” Picked up on that back in 2004 on my Rotary Group Study Exchange to Sweden.

Anyhoo. I really dig finding cool stuff like the license plates and usable stuff like wrenches and washcloths. Pennies, being money, are useful, too, though cans are slightly more valuable – but not much. Once I found the license plate of a co-worker at The Register-Mail. I knew her tags and returned the plate to her daughter, also a co-worker at the paper. The two found Monday are old and unknown to me. One has a sticker from 1997, so I’m guessing it fell out of the garbage or something. It is but a half-plate from a farm vehicle. The sticker on the other marks its expiration in 2010. Guess nobody’s missing those.

I’m kind of wishing I’d kept better track of the wrenches I’ve found while running. This is at least the fourth, counting two adjustable wrenches, one ratchet handle and this open/box-end combo. I think I have another such of a larger size, but I’d have to research that. I’ve also picked up a couple screwdrivers and a couple pairs of pliers in my travels.

None of that stuff is very exciting, but the tools and art and articles of clothing (some of them anyway) are useful so that’s getting stuff for free – kinda like presents from mystery benefactors. I’ll take that.

Today's Stats
Temp: 72 degrees F (80 at the finish)
Distance: 4.64 miles
Weekly Total: 4.64 miles
Treasure: 2 pennies; 1 open/box end wrench, 3/8” Craftsman; 1 wash cloth (light blue); 1.5 license plates (1 car, .5 Farm vehicle); 17 cans.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Reality – Newsboys
Comfortable (live) – John Mayer
Poor Poor Pitiful Me – Warren Zevon
Light In Your Eyes – Sheryl Crow
Just Like A Pill – Pink
O Mary Don’t You Weep (live) – Bruce Springsteen With the Sessions Band
Give It Time – Eric Lindell
Tell Her About It – Billy Joel
Just Stay Here Tonight – Augustana
Hearts – Yes
Daughters – John Mayer
Top Jimmy – Van Halen

No comments:

Post a Comment