Saturday, July 6, 2013

New Territory


Railyards from W.C. Jackson Bridge, looking south.

It’s easy to become a creature of habit. Wake at the same time, head to bed at the same time, travel the same routes to and from work or the grocery, eat the same foods at lunch, run the same streets. Even with the move this past week I found myself sticking with certain patterns, even with my first run from a new starting point – I simply planned to start from the opposite end.

Recently I’ve run a 3.8-mile route that started at my apartment on Ferris Street, headed west to Academy, south to Main, west over the Don Moffitt Overpass to Henderson Street, south to Third Street, east across the W.C. Jackson Memorial Bridge (which comes out on Fourth Street at my house), and north on Seminary Street, finishing at Swing’s Apartments on Ferris Street.

Knowing the route and distance, it was my intention this morning to run that route, starting at my new house on the east side of the bridge. Well, as fate would have it, I was diverted by a slow-moving freight backing out of the yards blocking the Academy Street crossing. Instead of dancing in place for God knows how long, I welcomed the opportunity to explore unfamiliar ground and I headed southwest along Louisville Road, which passes the old ADM plant and a branch of GrainStore Elevators.

I’d heard of Louisville Road, but never travelled it. I’m glad I did; and I think I’ll explore some other streets new to me on the south side. Once I reunited with Henderson Street, the route returned to its predictable pattern, but even there I noticed some things I hadn’t made note of before: Fourth Street and others cut off by the railyards pick up on the other side and continue for a few blocks. I guess I know that about Third through First streets, but I wasn’t aware Fourth Street resumed at Henderson Street and carried on a block or two west. More to explore.

As I hit the street this morning (late, as usual – I haven’t totally broken old habits), I realized I again didn’t have a plastic bag for goodies. The awareness was a result of seeing a bag blowing across the street. Why go inside for one of my bags when I could kill two birds with one stone (and perhaps save a bird or two in the process) by snatching up the wind-blown bag? With one deft motion I snagged the bag and scooped up a flattened can at the edge of the neighbor’s driveway. Thus began a bonanza can day.

I immediately sort of regretted my decision, though, as I had to stop half a dozen times on the way up the grade to pick up cans, which kind of spoils the training effect of the hill. I tried to make up for it by coming back over the bridge on the return route, after crossing the Don Moffitt Overpass. That’s three bridge spans in a run, so that counts for something, right?

As I made the return crossing I pondered the bridge’s history. My mom reminded me that my Grandpa Brunkow helped build the original Fourth Street bridge, a wooden structure with a steep approach, as I recall, that clattered and rattled as you drove across. I’m sure it was safe, but it was always a little disconcerting to hear those timbers moving under your car tires. But why was it called the Fourth Street bridge? Sure, the east side meets up with Fourth Street, but the west side meets Third Street. Why not the Third Street bridge? Maybe it was supposed to be the Four-Street Bridge – as it spans four streets cut off by the railyards: Broad, Cherry, Prairie and Kellogg. Who’s a historian out there?

Today's Stats
Temp: 79-82 degrees F
Distance: 3.85 miles
Weekly Total: 3.85 miles
Treasure: 1 Ford hub cap (plastic); 31 cans; 1 plastic shopping bag

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
You Run – The Call
The Battle ofEvermore – Led Zeppelin
Changes – Yes
Daughters – John Mayer
Other Arms – Robert Plant
Time – Pink Floyd
Roll With The Changes – REO Speedwagon
Desire – U2
El Farol - Santana

No comments:

Post a Comment