Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Brought to You by the Letter N


That’s N, as in “No More Legs, No More Excuses.”

I’ll try to keep this short. You know the story: Sore knee going on months; training schedule off; trying to prepare for my first (and likely only) half marathon, which is this Sunday. In an effort to spare my knee, I’ve been running but once or twice a week, topping out at 5 miles, well shy of a half marathon – 13.1 miles.

Plastic, magnetic "N" found along U.S. 150 between South
Lake Storey Road and the Lincoln Park entrance.
Last week I pushed a little and did 7 miles. Failing to log more than one run since, I decided today I needed a test. I needed to be sure that mentally and physically I am prepared for this. I’ve been plagued of late with some small self-doubt. That can be a killer. I know my body’s weaknesses; my mental state is another matter altogether. My confidence ebbs and flows like the tide, though not at the whim of the moon.

So today was to be a double test. I lack analogy or metaphor to illustrate the gravity of such a situation. Twice last summer I ran upwards of 12 miles, just to prove to myself that I could. Once went well, the second landed me in the emergency room for six hours for severe dehydration and extreme heat exhaustion. That will meddle with one’s mental game. Anyway, I was determined today to do what I could. And the route I’d chosen left few options for shortening, leaving only walking as a possible respite. I was equally determined to not walk except as a last resort. That may have been an ill choice.

As it happened I made it as far as what happened to be 10 miles before I weakened to a walk. While I thought I might walk the rest of the way home, I mustered the fortitude to pick up “running” again near the end (actually just before the 11-mile mark) and finished at a trot. The final measure totaled 11.72 miles, just 1.5 miles shy of a half marathon. It took me about two and a half hours.

Back in my apartment I sipped some more water and lay on the floor on one of my girls’ kindergarten nap mats, ice on my knee, listening to Matchbox Twenty. I felt like IndianaJones on the cargo ship with the Ark of the Covenant as Marion tries to comfort him and she is rebuffed, for her initial efforts result in irritating his bruises. I ached all over. My shoulders were sore. My calves burned. The soles of my feet, particularly my arches, throbbed at the slightest stretch. Not even after my most exhausting hike at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northeastern New Mexico did my feet ever hurt so much.

I showered and crawled into bed. An hour later two of my daughters arrived for our dinner date. I whined at every step. It was pouring rain when we left and as we arrived at Acapulco Mexican restaurant. I dropped the girls at the door and parked the car. Surprisingly, I had enough in me to dash to the door, though I didn’t exactly dodge any raindrops. That was a comforting occurrence.

I believe I can do this.

Today's Stats
Temp: 74 degrees F
Distance: 11.72 miles
Weekly Total: 11.72 miles
Treasure: One magnetic letter N (blue plastic)

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
The Fuse – Bruce Springsteen
American Honey – Lady Antebellum
And Your Bird Can Sing – The Beatles
I’m Feeling You – Santana (feat. Michelle Branch)
Something ‘Bout a Woman – Lady Antebellum
Jack and Diane – John Mellencamp
Waitin’ On a Sunny Day – Bruce Springsteen
Primavera - Santana
Splendid Isolation – Warren Zevon
Piano Man – Billy Joel (Love this video, though it's a different scene than I imagine. And I can't help but think of a group of friends belting out the chorus together.)
Restless – The Usual
There Goes the Fear - Doves
I’d Have You Anytime – George Harrison
I Love You – Avril Lavigne
Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - Cake
Limelight - Rush
Alone Again (Naturally) – Gilbert O’Sullivan
Goodbye – Avril Lavigne
Tell It To My Heart – Taylor Dayne
Lovesong – The Cure
Everybody Plays theFool – The Main Ingredient
Fireflies – Owl City
Wrapped Around YourFinger – The Police (Wish I'd caught them on their reunion tour - Copeland is indeed amazing. OK, sinceriously, I am floored by his percussion playing.)
If I Fall – Matchbox Twenty
Worrier King (live)– Warren Zevon
You’re the Inspiration - Chicago
Maria Maria – Santana (feat. The Project G&B)
Love Is a Verb – John Mayer
Everyday Is a Winding Road – Sheryl Crow
When Will You Come Back Home – Ryan Adams
She’s a Runner – Billy Squier (BTW: Looking for a runner girl.)
Mothers of the Disappeared – U2
The Promise – When In Rome
One of These Things First – Nick Drake
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2
Welcome Back – John Sebastian (Who remembers the TV show?)
Poor Poor Pitiful Me – Warren Zevon
Lawyers, Guns and Money – Warren Zevon
MacGillycuddy’s Reeks – Warren Zevon

1 comment:

  1. You CAN do this. Best of luck to you. Just find the cutest girl with a ponytail and follow her lead.

    ReplyDelete