Sunday, May 5, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again


I know I need to run, but I wanted to do an errand that was beyond my running ability today and a bike ride seemed just the solution. Kept me out of the car and out in the air and exercising. That’s good, right?
The road goes ever on and on...
 
You’d think my legs would be sore after that much pedaling, or my knee. Oddly, I feel it more in my soles. And my shoulders. Not used to hunching over on a road bike, neck straining to keep my eyes on the road ahead rather than the road under my wheels. My understanding of one fact gained renewed clarity: legs are much more efficient with pedals and wheels beneath them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not giving up running. Just needed a break and a renewal. Biking is, after all, my first love. Or is it? I’ve biked for decades and loved it from several aspects and in many forms, though I am mostly a recreational/commuting rider. But through scouting I became a hiker. So I suppose that was my first love, at least once I hit the mountain trails of Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northeastern New Mexico. Biking, though, as a commuter and pedabout, is my passion.

Mark this day. I just coined a new word. Pedabout is one who cycles for relaxation and recreation, often randomly and with no fixed destination.

Hard to see through the spring growth.
So, today’s ride had a purpose, a destination. I wanted to see for myself a house for sale at nearbyLake Bracken. Not the typical Bracken mansion you’re imagining if you are familiar with the area. And I was just curious, given its price. Didn’t get an up-close look because I wasn’t sure of its exact location and didn’t want to intrude into a seemingly private residential setting. And once I spotted it from across the cove, I chose to accept the view I had and continued my ride home.

Lots of questions about a place like that: well water, septic, no garage, sloping gravel drive. What’s winter life like? What is the life expectancy of the well? What’s the water taste like? How often must a septic tank be emptied and what’s that cost? What about garbage pickup? Still, lake access, woods. Pretty cool.

Biking home I was treated to some minor hills, moody skies and bright roadside dandelions and clover. Also sore soles and butt. And tingly arms and sweaty hands on plastic handlebar tape. (Need to change that.) In the end, though, I thrilled at the ride and at my ability to find my way back on a loop I hadn’t ridden in two years. Not a big accomplishment, but one can get lost on country roads. Thankfully it’s a pretty straight shot. 

Today's Stats
Temp: 71 degrees F
Distance: 14.29 miles
Weekly Total: 22.19 miles
Treasure: Freedom.

iPod Playlist:
Matchbox Twenty’s “North (Limited Edition)” album
She’s So Mean
Overjoyed (Brilliant video)
Our Song
English Town
Radio (Stopped here on second play-through)
Portrait of the returning hero, er, rider.
The Way
Like Sugar
Sleeping at the Wheel
Waiting on a Train (Non-LP Track)
I Don’t Wanna Be Loved (Non-LP Track)


No comments:

Post a Comment