Monday, February 4, 2013

Lost Again


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound… I once was lost, but now am found…

I don’t lose things. George Carlin’s bit about all our stuff and where it lands when we can’t seem to find it is funny, but I’ve not lost much other than the occasional sock in the laundry. Well, and love and sanity, but that’s another story.

But this past year I’ve had a couple of setbacks. First it was a backpack. Then it was my digital camera. The camera I’ve since found. (It was in the overnight bag I took to Chicago at the start of December for the Santa Hustle 5K. I finally thought to look there last week. Woo-hoo!) The backpack remains a mystery. And I’m a little worried about my mind. I don’t lose stuff.

I don’t recall now when I realized the backpack was missing. It’s a rucksack actually. A fine distinction. The small nylon bag was free with my membership in the Sierra Club. That’s why I joined – to get the free bag. And now I miss it. The little bag was good for a handful of miscellany on a ride to work or for doing errands that might mean a couple small purchases. I don’t think there was anything but a nice lockback pocketknife in one of the pockets when I lost it. But that was a quality knife. And the bag was, as I said, handy. (Ooh, here's a new offer; maybe I'll join up again!)

Where the hell did it go? I am stuck on two possible theories. The first is that I hung it on the back of a chair in a fast-food joint during lunch or dinner one day and forgot it when I left. That seems unlikely. Again, I just don’t have that kind of history. The second, perhaps more disturbing, is that I laid it by my desk at work one weekend and a non-newsroom employee passing through after hours swiped it. I’m not convinced that’s the case either, but I know of at least one other incident – albeit years ago – in which something went missing from a co-worker’s desk.

I still think there might be some forgotten corner or cranny of my tiny apartment I haven’t considered where it just might be hiding. I remain hopeful, if not optimistic, for its recovery.

Speaking of lost and found, remember that wheel cover I found last week? The one from Wednesday – Fish Day? Well, it fit Amanda’s car! I was pretty excited when she stopped by Friday and I fit it to her right front wheel. It seemed a little out of whack, but I figured it was OK. Well, I was wrong. She texted later to tell me it flew off as she headed back to school on U.S. 34. Oh well. Easy come, easy go. I’ll keep searching.

Today’s Stats
Temp: 30 degrees F
Distance: 3.38 miles
Weekly Total: 3.38 miles
Treasure: Nothing

iPod Playlist (Shuffle)
I cheated. Scanned the first five songs before heading out, to make sure they were tunes I wanted to hear. So sue me. I didn't skip any, by the way.
Too Late for Goodbyes – Julian Lennon
Money for Nothing – Dire Straits (Groundbreaking, from MTV's heyday)
Someday – Rob Thomas
Mad World – Michael Andrews & Gary Jules (What a miserably melancholy song, but I kinda dig the video.)
3x5 (live) – John Mayer
Reckless Love – Robert Plant
Los Angelenos – Billy Joel
I Hope You Dance – Lee Ann Womack

Saturday's Stats
Temp: 24 degrees F
Distance: 3.4 miles
Weekly Total: 7.25 miles
Treasure: Nothing

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Sleeping With the Television On – Billy Joel
Seven Bridges Road – The Eagles
You and I – Stevie Wonder
New Moon on Monday – Duran Duran
Maneater – Hall & Oates
Superman – Five for Fighting
Swamp – Talking Heads
Eclipsed – Pink Floyd
Rest Stop – Matchbox Twenty (Love the story behind this song; listen. Note: I once listened to this song for eight hours straight while working a Saturday shift.)
Wolves – Garth Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment