Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Drop in the Bucket



“Reach down your hand in your pocket, pull out some hope for me.”

Matchbox Twenty, Feb. 6,2013, Braden Auditorium, ISU, Normal, Illinois
So, I’ve started my bucket list. I didn’t really want to. Never had the desire to make the list, you know, put it down in words. Too much pressure: Here are the things I want to do before I die. Great expectations. Unachievable (in some cases) goals. Of course, unless I’m lingering in my death bed for a while, I won’t have time to contemplate what I didn’t get done: Damn, never did have the opportunity to milk a rattlesnake!

I think it must have been talk the other day about last night’s Matchbox Twenty concert that prompted the question from a close friend. “Is that on your bucket list?” I don’t have one, I confessed, for the above-stated reasons. But we talked some more and I started listing some goals that would make my bucket list. Places to visit, skills to learn, people to meet, activities to undertake. While reluctant to commit to this sort of endeavor, here’s some of what I came up with on the spur of the moment, in no particular order.

1. See Matchbox Twenty in concert (hope that doesn’t sound like cheating, since I knew it was coming and it is crossed off the list – though I’d like to do it again, and again.)
2. See Bruce Springsteen in concert. Yeah, did that in 2006, but I think it would have been on the list had I made it before now. Hey, I’m 2-for-2!
3. Skydive. Cliché? Perhaps. My friend said that’s not on her list and It’s not really a priority on mine. It’s really more about overcoming fear. So why not.
4. Bungee Jump. See above.
5. Visit Ireland. I tell my kids I plan to retire there so they’d better have well-paying jobs to be able to come and visit me. I fancy evenings in a little country pub, swilling Guinness and listening to folk music.
6. Visit Germany. I learned a little German in high school and I love the castles and countryside I’ve seen in pictures. Really, throw in the rest of Europe and parts of Asia, too.
7. Milk a rattlesnake. This falls into the overcoming fear category. I am fascinated by snakes and scared to death of them. I find the process fascinating and think it would be cool to help (and hope I don’t get wimpy, lose my grip and get bit – though that’d be a hell of a story, too).
8. Learn to play the bodhran. My parents bought me one of these traditional Irish drums for Christmas because I grew up playing drums and I’m Irish and, well, just because they thought it’d be cool for me to learn it. I’ve heard it played and it seems complicated. Need to get to work on that.
9. Learn to play harmonica. Long story short, I’ve wanted to do this since I was kid. I finally own several harmonicas, but have yet to learn how to make music, not just noise, with them.
10. Scuba dive. Another childhood dream. Before I wanted to be a monster movie makeup artist, I wanted to be a scuba diver and study ocean life like Jacques Cousteau.
11. Run a half marathon.

That’s a start. I’ll see what else comes to mind. What about you?


Coming soon: Concert recap.

Today's Stats
Temp: 35 degrees F (cold, light, steady rain)
Distance: 3.38 miles
Weekly Total: 6.76 miles
Treasure: Nothing

iPod Playlist (Shuffle – Matchbox Twenty only):
Rest Stop
Unwell
If You’re Gone
Soul
The Burn

1 comment:

  1. there are videos on line to learn how to play the bodhran. As for the skydiving, going to do that this spring when I visit my aunt in Denver. There is an indoor skydiving place and she did it when she was 70+ I'm going to give it a try. Bucket lists can be a good thing. Keep you focused on goals.

    ReplyDelete