Friday, February 8, 2013

Finally Met My Match(box)


“I’m sorry about the attitude I need to give when I’m with you but no one else would take this shit from me.”

I think maybe this couple celebrating
their 50th anniversary recently might
still be "Overjoyed."
I find the haze of artificial smoke creating concert atmosphere in Braden Auditorium ironic considering the sign over the urinal in the first floor men’s room: “Thanks for saving our lungs,” which goes on explain that Illinois State University is a smoke-free campus.

Amanda and I find our mezzanine seats with no trouble and settle in to await the show. We’re here to see Matchbox Twenty. Opening is Phillip Phillips, a band I know only by its lone hit, “Home,” which has seen fair radio play and some television commercial exposure.

We arrived in Normal well in advance of the 7:30 p.m. start to ensure parking and a dinner stop. When we landed at Chipotle a few blocks from the Bone Student Center, I was reminded that I ate at a Chipotle with my brother and his buddies back in 2006 when we went to a Springsteen concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia, back in 2006. One more and I’ll have a concert tradition.

While stuck nearly in the corner of the mezzanine at Braden (Row 11, seats 22 and 23, by the left wall in Section E), we had a fairly close vantage point. Braden seats just 3,457 people; UVA’s Jones Arena seats 14,593. I relied heavily on Jumbotron-style screens at Jones and found myself watching the Boss on a huge TV more than live on stage. More irony. There are no screens in Braden; what you see is what you get.

That challenged my cheap dumbphone and Olympus digital camera, which has a rather limited optical zoom. I suffered serious envy for the smartphone-wielding fans around us, who I could see zooming in and recording amazing-looking video of my favorite songs. I tried a couple of times with my camera, but it couldn’t handle the contrast of a dark house and ultra-bright, flashing, flaring stage lighting. Guess I’ll just have to make sure I can go again sometime when I’ve caught up with the technology of the day.

Phillip Phillips
Anyway, Phillips is a great acoustic four-piece: two guitars, percussion, cello. I was blown away by their beautiful sound, even if I was unfamiliar. And Phillip’s vocals were frequently hard to understand, whether because of his style or the mix. But musically they were stunning. The cello really made the difference. Alas, the only song I recognized was their finale, “Home,” though it took a while to catch; there was a wonderful instrumental intro that lasted nearly as long as the song itself.

Funniest bit of the night came during preparation between Phillip Phillips and Matchbox Twenty. As the crew cleared equipment and set up for the headliner, out came a vacuum. I had no idea there was anything littering the floor to be sucked up. Maybe Rob Thomas or Kyle Cook is a little OCD or a real neat freak and there’s a clause in the band’s contract. I just thought it strange.

Note: Take small bills for parking – or don’t. I handed the attendant a $20 for the $6 parking fee and she asked if I had anything smaller. I could see she had a couple of fives and a couple of singles, but thought she might have a third five and could make change if I gave her a single in addition to the $20. I mentioned the dollar bill and handed it over. She asked again if I had anything else. I had one other single, but I replied no, figuring she was looking for a $5 or $10.

Exasperated, she hands back my $20 with a, “Dollar parking for you,” and waved me past. Hey, sorry. But, sweet!

Matchbox finally hit the stage about 8:40 or so and I nearly cried. I haven’t seen a lot of concerts, let alone a favorite band, and I was pretty emotional at the experience. Allow me to veer from traditional narrative here and try something different. I’ll give you the set list with some “liner notes” to fill out the story.

Parade – I was a little surprised, but not disappointed, that they started with track 1 from the new album, “North.” This is the North Tour after all.


Disease – I was pretty excited that they immediately reached back in the catalog for some older stuff.

Rob Thomas: “I wanna say thank you to Phillip Phillips for being so fuckin’ awesome.”

I’ve heard him mention his proclivity for profanity in a concert video on YouTube and I rather dig the F-bomb, so I was happy.

He went on to promise a great show, but added some self-deprecating remarks, finishing with, “We’ll be the best ‘tonight’ you could have.”



Rob Thomas: “We’re gonna take it back to 1996 for a couple more songs”

Real World 

Girl Like That

If You’re Gone

Overjoyed

All Your Reasons

Rob Thomas: We’re going all the way, all the way, all the way back.”

Long Day – During a cool instrumental intermission Rob launched into the traditional band intros.

Rob Thomas: “Not to totally play favorites, but this next song is probably one of my favorites off the new album. It’s called I Will.”

Unwell

Radio – “I’m of a certain age,” Rob began, explaining the process of making a mix tape from the radio, as those of us in their late 30s and beyond will recall. As he was talking about making that tape for your first date with “Jenny,” a quick clip of “Baby Come Back” blasted over the PA. “Then you had the second side in case you might get lucky. The first side was all ‘Baby Come Back,’ the other side was all Marvin Gaye.” Gotta love it.

After a brief dalliance with Rod Stewart’s Stay With Me…

So Sad So Lonely

It was toward the end of So Sad So Lonely that Kyle wandered over to stage left and laid into a burning groove of a solo, something I’ve not seen in any of the videos I’ve watched. Rob leans down to some folks in the VIP seating (the orchestra pit) and takes someone’s phone and begins filming Kyle from all angles, including prone on the floor, looking up at his lead guitarist. Then he got in the frame, too, before finally handing the phone back. How freakin’ cool would that be!

English Town

Rob moves to the grand piano.

The Way

Pretty sure this was during Bright Lights.
Bright Lights – Again Kyle finishes with a blazing solo. He is a pretty awesome guitar player.

Sleeping at the Wheel – After those first couple songs and Overjoyed, this one, too, creates a stir of emotion in me.

Rob Thomas: “Thank you, Normal. We love you!”

And off they trot.

Of course, there is an encore. Gotta have an encore. Pity the band that doesn’t come back for an encore. They played four. Hallelujah!

Put Your Hands Up – Another from the new album. It launched with a funky electronic opening that had me guessing.

Back 2 Good during the encore.
Rob Thomas: “I grew up in the South,” he says, explaining that he listened to grizzled old guys like Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. “And they all had songs about cheatin’ on their albums. Now, I’m not tellin’ you this because I condone it, but because… shit happens. And when it does, somebody should be there to write about it. This is my favorite of our cheatin’ songs. It’s called Back 2 Good.”

Rob: “… This is the song of our childhood. Check it out”:

The One I Love The band played the R.E.M. classic, which I had to explain to Amanda; she'd not heard it before. Or at least didn't remember it.

Push – Rob somehow dedicated this finale from the bottom of their hearts to us. Not sure I get that. I always thought this sounded like a song of abuse or something.






No comments:

Post a Comment