Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Five-mile Smoke Break



I was about four blocks into my morning run when I saw her cross the street in front of me, maybe half a block away. Royal blue scrub pants and a white shoes cut a quick clip across Seminary Street to the smokers’ retreat under a tree opposite Cottage Hospital. The puffy brown coat had to be too warm for the mild October morning, but I suppose it was cooler when she arrived at work and she didn’t bother to check the temp before heading out for a cigarette.

This picture has nothing to do with this blog. I
simply failed to take my phone on my last run.
I didn’t get a good look at her as I passed on the hospital side of the street, but the sun lit her auburn hair from behind, creating a fiery glow around her head. I craned my neck to watch her for an extra second, then I was out of range and in danger of colliding with cars at the upcoming parking lot entrance/exit.

On my merry way I ran. The possibly pretty girl flitted in and out of mind like any other random thought that occurs while I’m running. That’s one of the great benefits of running: time to think about nothing at all, or about whatever has been distracting you at times when you need to concentrate on annoying tasks like work. Monday found me on my 5-mile Walmart route. It’s a good workout and I know the distance without having to double check it on MapMyRun, the runner’s website.

No bag in hand, I wasn’t bothering to collect cans – I haven’t for a while – and I passed up the glitter-flecked, black magic glove in the gutter, as well. Like I need any more of those. Monday was a day to just run for the sake of running. Of course, that doesn’t leave me much to blog about (that’s the theme of this thing, right?). Whatever. I’ve been avoiding the writing lately and I wasn’t really thinking about a blog. I just wanted to run. I needed to run. Winter fat already is settling in my belly.

So it was to be an uneventful out-and-back to Walmart. I try to vary the return route a little, sometimes snaking through Hawthorne Centre – the former Galesburg State Research Hospital (Galesburg Mental Health Center) – and then opting for Willard or Bateman or Seminary for the bulk of the southerly stretch; other times I’ll opt for a quick return to Seminary Street after passing Walmart, avoiding the Hawthorne Centre maze altogether.

What threw me, mentally, was the appearance of the auburn-haired smoker, still under the tree on the landscaping stone wall, thirty-five minutes later. Who takes a forty-minute smoke break? What employer allows that? Surely she hadn’t stayed the whole time, I thought, but by the same token it seemed equally unlikely she’d taken two breaks in that short time.

Being on the same side of the street this pass, I decided to go out on a limb. Just a little.

“Hey,” I said, throwing up a casual wave with my left hand.

“Hi,” she replied.

And then I was out of range again. No lingering for conversation.

Like the movie “Groundhog Day,” the scenario played out again Tuesday morning. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel. Only this time I thought I’d look ahead a little.

“See ya Wednesday,” I offered as I ran past.

“I don’t work Wednesdays,” she shouted as I puffed down the street.

Maybe I’m imagining it, but I thought I sensed a measure of disappointment in her voice. Maybe she’ll be there Wednesday, 10-ish, just to say hi. Or perhaps I’ll have to wait until Thursday. Can I run every day just to see if this mystery woman is regular with her smoke breaks?

Maybe.

The above is a work of fiction. Not a great work. Nor even a good work. Consider an exercise. My legs and lungs get their workout, my mind needs one, too. Next up: “Texting in the rain.”  

Today's Stats
Temp: 43 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
Looking for the Next Best Thing – Warren Zevon
You’re Only Human – Billy Joel
Weather Report – Ronnie Lane
Rock and Roll Music – The Beatles
Old Brown Shoe – Gary Brooker
Until The End of The World – U2
Don’t Panic - Coldplay
Night Flight – Led Zeppelin
Yer Blues – The Beatles
Mutineer – Bob Dylan
Why Can’t This Be Love – Van Halen
Narrow Way, Pt. 1 – Pink Floyd
Kashmir – Led Zeppelin
Can’t Go Home Anymore My Love – The Factotums
Hymn 43 – Jethro Tull

No comments:

Post a Comment