Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Why I Run

Not today, but after a run last week.
Running is all about contradiction for me. Not that I want it to be, it just is. I run, but declare I am not a runner (sometimes I waffle on that). Running takes discipline. But like a couple of my lady friends who run, I do it to offset my lack of discipline in matters of food and drink. 

That’s not the only reason I run, though. It’s a time to think. A time not to think. Running is pain. And yet it overcomes pain, releases stress and the encumbrances of life. Today I wondered as I pounded down Broad Street why forget is the opposite of remember. If you want to not remember someone or something, shouldn’t that be dismember? Imagine it. “Forget you” becomes “dismember you.” Hmmm. Then again, forget is apt. It is returning to the point before you “got” something or someone. When I no longer want to “get you” I’ll forget you.

See, it’s thinking and it’s not thinking. Right?

Today I remembered my knee brace thingy. It’s a strap with a piece of rubber cord in the middle that goes under the patella to stabilize that ligament or whatever it is that comes off the kneecap. Hmmm. Good ol’ Google. That appears to be the ACL. Maybe I should be more careful about it then. Anyway, the support helped and my knee felt better during and after the run. Until about two minutes ago. Stretch… (Nope, not the ACL. Google Images search reveals it to be the patellar tendon.)

So there you have it. Be disciplined in one area so you can slack in another. Think but don’t overdo it. Today’s lessons to ponder.

Today's Stats
Temp: 58 degrees F
Distance: 4.5 miles
Weekly Total: 7.5 miles
Treasure: Nada.

iPod Playlist (On Shuffle):
I Don’t Wanna – The Call
Only the Good Die Young – Billy Joel
Downside Up (Live) – Peter Gabriel
Just What I Needed – The Cars
Mohammend’s Radio(Live) – Warren Zevon
Wrapped Around Your Finger – The Police
More Than This – Roxy Music
A Kind of Magic – Queen
Very Special Love - Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment