Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Successful First

So, I ran my first 10K race today. And, like my first 5K I even placed! Unlike my first 5K there were others in my age division – men’s 40-49. The 5K age divisions are in five-year increments, which I think is better odds. I will say I think the older age divisions are as competitive or more competitive than the younger groups. More of those middle-age folks have been running for a long time than are newbies like me. Or so I like to think.

Some ponytail inspiration.
I’ve been training for this race, building up my mileage on everyday runs (twice or thrice weekly). But I made the poor decision to go out last night and do a little drinking and dancing. The upside of that is that I found a cute little plush puppy in a parking lot. You can read all about the race experience in The Register-Mail this Sunday and at Galesburg.com.

The exciting part of the day, besides placing third in my first-ever 10K race, was that I was joined by my lovely daughter Amanda. She texted this morning at 6, about the time my alarm was going off, and asked about the race starting point and time. I thought she’d decided to come cheer me on. Ha, what an ego. She’d decided to run her first 5K. Spur-of-the-moment decision brought on by lack of sleep and boredom. What’s with college kids today? Well, she could have done far worse things.

I was happy to have her join me and my running partner for the race. We had a good time together before and after. Once the starting gun sounded I was off and in my own little world. I picked a ponytail – a trio actually – once I’d found my pace and I just kept running. The motivation was enough to keep me going without a walk lapse and I finished in 56:14, good enough for third place. Color me a happy runner. I mean, a happy guy who runs.

Finished 28th overall in the 10K -
middle of the pack.
Today's Stats
Temp: 73 degrees F
Distance: 6.2 miles
Weekly Total: 17.4 miles
Treasure: Intestinal fortitude.

iPod Playlist (Running playlist, plus two)
Broken – Lifehouse
Catch My Disease – Ben Lee
Distance – Ryan McCullough
Heartbreak Warfare – John Mayer
I Will Follow You Into the Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
I Will Possess Your Heart – Death Cab for Cutie
Smooth – Santana (Feat. Rob Thomas)
Time and Time Again – Counting Crows
We Will Not Be Lovers – The Waterboys
Sink or Float – Aberdeen
Shoot to Thrill – AC/DC (Great song to finish strong)

A little Change Up last night at the RR Days
Prairie Players Beer Garden.

2 comments:

  1. Even if my time wasn't that great, it was a pretty cool experience and I'm glad I did it! Hopefully I'll find more to do and actually train for them ang get some sleep so I can do better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least I beat a few 30 somethings! Congrats on your strong finish, RB!

    ReplyDelete