Friday, June 15, 2012

Yo, Adrian, I did it!

Not sure what it is I did, though. I’ve written before that waiting 24 hours to write about a run is self-defeating. The inspiration is lost. I’m still pumped about my longest run ever yesterday, but some of the juice is gone. It doesn’t help that initial calculations were skewed and a final measurement that is likely more accurate than those early attempts is jilting me of a mile I had hoped for. 

Geese in Lincoln Park caused a bit of a road block. These
are in the grass, but the road was full of 'em, too!
I set out Thursday morning to do another long run. At first I thought I might just duplicate Tuesday’s route, maybe see if I could find anything new that might have been lost in the two days since. But that idea quickly faded. I was inspired to head to Lake Storey instead. I’ve missed the first two Wednesday morning runs of the summer and I miss that place. In addition to running the path through the park and woods I have fond memories of walks with friends and nearly being arrested there just a week ago (OK, we were merely warned to be out of the park by midnight in the future after we were caught 15 minutes past curfew – luckily our names cleared the records check and we were released).

Bittersweet sight: Yea, recycling! Boo,
unread newspapers!
I knew it would be my longest run ever as soon as I decided to do the lake trail. That route, out and back from my apartment, is actually 12.6 miles (7.6 miles from here to the trail head, 5 miles out and back on the trail). I glitched it by not exactly going out and back. I looped the lake, which somehow is slightly shorter than the trail, which, east end to west end, is just over 2.5 miles one way). South Lake Storey Road back to Lincoln Park is shorter – or so MapMyRun tells me. I see it now.

The disappointment is that I thought at first I had done the equivalent of a half marathon. Proof to myself that I could have run the first ever Galesburg Half Marathon Express earlier this month instead of the 5K. I have no regrets in my choice then. And I am certain I could do it next year (assuming my body is still in good condition). It’s just a little letdown to discover the miles didn’t add up as I’d first thought.

Still, I made running friends proud and myself, too. Not boastful pride, though I suppose I am boasting a little, but pride in recognizing an inner strength I didn’t know I possessed. That’s a great feeling, a confidence-builder. It pays to push your limits sometimes, put yourself to the test to see just what you can do with a little determination. Just as Rocky.

Tiger lilies are my favorites. And they're
everywhere along my routes.
Today's Stats
Temp: 70 degrees F (82 at the end)
Distance: 12 miles
Weekly Total: 20 miles
Treasure: 21 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Tin Man – The Avett Brothers
Thing Called Love – Bonnie Raitt
(I’ve Had) The Timeof My Life – Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
Come On In My Kitchen – Steve Miller Band
Shoot to Thrill – AC/DC (Yeah, same video from a week ago but I LOVE it)
Daria – Cake
The Walls Came Down – The Call
I Never Told You – Colbie Caillat
Send ‘Em Back – The Foremen
Rip This Joint (Live) – The Rolling Stones
Time and Time Again – Counting Crows
Part of Your Own – John Gorka
Life Uncommon – Jewel
Like a Hurricane – Neil Young
Fire in the Hole – Steely Dan
Running to Stand Still – U2
Elected (featuring Rob Zombie and Slash) – Alice Cooper
Fisherman’s Blues – The Waterboys
Red Dress – James McMurtry
More Than a Feeling – Boston
Highway Patrolman – Bruce Springsteen
You’re the Inspiration – Chicago
4:37 A.M. (Arabs with Knives & West German Skies) – Roger Waters
Lucky Star – Madonna
I’m Afraid of Americans – David Bowie
Worried – Michael Been
For the Love of a Princess – James Horner

3 comments:

  1. I ran along N. Lake Storey Road this a.m. those tiger lilies are SO pretty!! I have a few that line my driveway.

    Good job on the run! For the record, someone (I won't name names) has said before that you are definately capable of running a half. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize that capability now. It seemed a ridiculous notion at the time said cheerleader brought it up.

      Delete