Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Took a P

All right, I haven’t run in more than a month. Not since the St. Patrick’s Day 5K. Not good. It’s not quite like starting over, but it was a bit rough. And yet, still amazingly satisfying and rejuvenating. It might be an overstatement to say I love running. OK, it would be an overstatement. What I love are the after-effects.

 I love that feeling of confidence, like I can take on the world and win. I love that bit of ache that says, “hey, you have muscles and they work.” I love the improved endurance, physical fitness. I love the weight loss/control. I love the different perspective on life and my surroundings.

Anyway, I was missing all that. And today seemed a good day to get back to it. It’s Cleanup Days here in the ’Burg and that means possibilities. Last year I picked up a good mattress set and a recliner. When I told a friend about the potential today had in store, I was tasked with finding a coffee percolator. Alas, no “percs” beyond the usual running bennies. I waited too late in the week or too late in the morning and there wasn’t much on my route today. Maybe I’ll be blessed with bonus gumption tomorrow and hit it again to see if I can strike a mother lode.

Kind of sad to see a kid's artwork on the curb.
What did I see? Loads of trash, mostly, and I mean uninteresting, everyday garbage. Oh, there was the promising wooden rocker that turned out to have a split seat and the painted portrait done by some high school student. But nothing really eye-catching was left at the curb by 9 a.m.

Live and learn.

Today's Stats
Temp: 63 degrees F
Distance: 3.24 miles
Treasure: 1 foam letter P; 3 cans.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin
Absolute – The Fray
Other Possibilities – Rachel Portman (“Chocolat” soundtrack)
The Red Strokes – Garth Brooks (Obviously not the original video, but how perfect!)
Night Flight – Led Zeppelin
Burning Down the House – Talking Heads
Wine Snacks – Ryan Adams (intro banter before “A Kiss Before I Go”)
Unwritten – Natasha Bedingfield (Jeez, how did I miss this video for so long? She's gorgeous!)
I Want Your Sex (Parts 1 & 2) – George Michael

She lost her head and her arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment