Tuesday, April 24, 2012

And that’s the way it is

Walter Cronkite: "And that's the way it is."
And there you have it. And here you go. It is what it is. So it goes. And that’s the way it is. At the end of the day…

What is and what should never be. Some of the all-pervasive, ever invasive catch-phrases that enter our vocabulary fit into the title of the Led Zeppelin song. “So it goes,” is a classic I gleaned from “Slaughterhouse Five.” It’s the same “what can you do?” sentiment expressed by the popular “it is what it is,” but it sounds a lot better. Way to go, Kurt. Billy Joel snagged it for a song title; that's how awesome it is.

I know some folks who hate that phrase – “it is what it is.” I know a lot folks who use it. I’m indifferent to it. Eh, it is what it is. The one that grates on my nerves is “at the end of the day.” Politicians and prognosticators bandy it about as if it’s the wisest conclusion to be proclaimed. I’d rather they just used the old tried and true “bottom line is…” Frankly, I don’t think the end of the day matters a whit. There’s always tomorrow. Just ask Scarlet O’Hara or any Cubs fan. 

I don't know. It caught my eye for some
reason. Which way to go from here?
Much better than these everyday boilerplate specials are some of the phrases my dad has uttered over the years. I’m sure everyone’s dad or mum has some special phrases they use a lot, the kind that you’ll always associate with them whenever you hear those words. Some may be unique, others are shared through our collective cultural consciousness.

Among my favorites from Dad:

I’m not just talking to hear my head rattle. – Usually to emphasize a bit of advice or a directive not to be taken lightly. The smart-ass in me always wanted to reply, “So that’s just a side-effect?”

He don’t know shit from shinola. – To denote a real idiot.

Looks like 10 pounds in a 5-pound sack – Somebody wearing clothes that are too tight.

How about I plant my foot in your ass? That’ll motivate you. – In response to my declaring lack of motivation (why did I think that excuse would work for anything?)

If everybody liked the same thing, there wouldn't be enough to go around – A nice acknowledgement of differing tastes. Sometimes followed by, "Good, more for me!"


You're like a fart in a whirlwind – To describe an antsy child/teen, or any other person buzzing about with nervous energy.

OK, the first is the best and my all-time favorite. There are others but I’m drawing a blank just now. Any other time I could come up with a half-dozen. On the spot, I suffer writer’s block. Now you know why I haven’t started that novel yet.

So, what does any of that have to do with today’s run? Hmmm. Nothing really. I was bereft of ideas and the phrases popped into my head because I’d posted the opener on Facebook and some of the following were responses from friends. One asked if my first entry was from Walter Cronkite. Former Register-Mail Editor Robert F. Harrison chimed in with a history lesson: “And that's the way it is, Tuesday, April 22, 2012. I'll be away from the anchor desk for a while...” Thank you, Bob.

And with that … Good night, and good luck.

I've collected two bras in my runs.
This one seemed beyond salvage.
Today's Stats
Temp: 60 degrees F
Distance: 2.5 miles
Treasure: 1 penny; 9 cans. Passed on: 1 blue bra, 1 flattened fork and a lone Nike.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Start the Apocalypse – Robert Kral (“Angel” TV series soundtrack)
Lonesome Day – Bruce Springsteen
Crucifixion – John Debney (“The Passion of the Christ” soundtrack)
Narrow Way, Pt. 1 – Pink Floyd
Station Call – Wynton Marsalis
Best of Times – Styx
One of My Turns – Roger Waters (“The Wall Live in Berlin”)

No comments:

Post a Comment