Wednesday, March 28, 2012

There's gonna be a jailbreak

I've done my sentence, but committed no crime. Well, none that you can pin on me without a convincing false witness and some contrived evidence.

The photographer liked my sad face. "You got it right.
Most people get behind there and smile."
I confess, though, that I did sort of slip my bonds yesterday. I failed to raise the requested $800 bail. I did, however, come up with more than 50 percent of it. That's rather remarkable considering the minimal effort I put into the MDA Lockup. For that I apologize. I should have tried harder. Honestly, it was easier than I expected, and had I made a genuine effort from the start I am confident I would have raised more than asked.

As it is, I delayed online registration for two or three weeks and then only posted a notice on my Facebook page. That drew a few comments and some notice from friends. At least one person noted in a message later that she would probably contribute to my release fund.

In the end, I generated $285 in cash and pledges during the Lockup and pulled in another $180 online. That's a grand total of $465. Pretty sure that's considerably more than my most successful youth bike-a-thon.

I've expressed my thanks to all who donated, but I'd like to reiterate my appreciation publicly. Thank you all for the generous donations to MDA. I am blessed by your willing spirit. And I should apologize to my father for unnecessarily compounding his daily stress level yesterday.

You see, I tried to have a little fun with the calls.

Me: Hey, I'm in jail.

Dad: You're in jail? How much is it gonna cost to get you out?

(I could sense the defeat in his voice; he thought I really was in the pokey.)

Me: I don't know. Whatever ya got. Pause... It's for the MDA Lockup. I'm not really in jail.

At that point Mom got on the line and took over from my shocked father. She had seen my morning email reminder and knew what I was talking about. As promised, she made a donation to the cause. I suspect Dad might have left me after I sent his nervous system into overdrive.

Of course, had I been left to rot, there were plenty of Wild Wings and loads of beer to be had. Not a bad jail (if you can stand the constant commotion from the bazillion blaring TVs).

No comments:

Post a Comment