Saturday, March 17, 2012

Running Like Snakes from St. Patrick

Today was the day. CASI's 30th annual St. Patrick's Day Race was this morning in Davenport, Iowa. What a change from last year: I'll have to check last year's entry, but it was considerably colder and windy as all get-out. You could hear it in the video I made during last year's run.  That was harsh. By contrast, this year the temp pushed into the 80s and there was only a slight breeze off the river.

It was beautiful. Undoubtedly that contributed to the increase in entries. I believe there were about 2,400 last year. The announcer this year said there were 3,000. It ain't the Bix, but it's a crowd.

As usual, I fell in at the back of the back. 1. I know I'm slow, so there's no sense contributing to the clog at the start. 2. It feels good to pass people. I overheard a couple of guys talking about the course before the start. The route is similar to last year, though we started on Second Street this time instead of the cross-street. Runners head over a block to Third Street and follow it down and back and finish at the start. But the explainer, wasn't quite sure of the finish. "I don't know how it ends." I wanted to chime in: "It ends with me collapsing in a heap over there."

Well, I didn't collapse. But I felt the extra 20 pounds I've packed on since last March. I'm used to stopping periodically to pick up stuff on my runs, so aside from my track jaunts I rarely run a full 5K straight up these days. I'll admit, I walked a total of about a block and a half over the course of three brief stints to give myself a rest. I'm disappointed, but I'll do better next time. I am proud that I didn't get lax at the end; in fact I kicked it up a notch and passed a couple more runners at the finish.

Had to laugh when I shared the news with friends afterward. Jay Redfern texted back: "DId you have a ponytail to follow?" He knows my motivation. I've confessed it before. I assured him there were plenty. Of course, if I settle in behind one and she's slower than I am, well, that can affect my time. So what! :)

OMG. I just used an emoticon in my blog! :O Good Lord, another! Stop me!

OK, so that's out of my system. 

Cool band playing near the turnaround.
Anyway, I had to do a double-back within the first mile to pick up a big shamrock. Thought it was vinyl but it's just posterboard. Three large, flat magnets on the back indicate it was meant for a car -- perhaps for the parade later. I carried it the whole way, my sweat fraying the edge where the web of my hand rested. At the end of the race, as I headed for the refreshments and the results table, I discovered a pair of pink earbuds by the wall of the bank across from Figge. I intended to turn them in at the lost and found but the table was unstaffed when I got there. They've been donated at the free trade table in the lobby here at Swing's Leisure Apartments.

Post-race I took D2 and D3 to lunch (how can it take 25 minutes to find a Culver's even with an iPhone map app?) and we returned to the Burg to rest. All in all, a good day.

Today's Stats
Temp: 82 degrees F
Distance: 3.1 miles
Weekly Total: 7.7 miles
Treasure: 1 magnetic shamrock decoration; 1 pair pink earbuds.

Race weight: 205 lbs.
Age: 45
Overall: 985
DIVP: 45
DIVT: 69
SEXP: 589
SEXT: 815
Time: 30:25
Pace: 9:49

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Wrapped Around Your Finger - The Police
You Won't See Me - The Beatles
Seasonal (acoustic) - Ryan Patrick
Old Brown Shoe - Gary Brooker
Virgin State of Mind - K's Choice
Right Here Now - James McMurtry
I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston
Distance - Ryan McCullough

Shrek and Fiona ran the race, too. I think I beat them. But they were awesome!

1 comment: