Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It Pays to Run



See a dollar pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck. Indeed. 

I thought my morning was cursed at first. (Nice rhyme, eh?) Actually, it wasn’t the whole morning I was doubting, just the run part. I woke reasonably early enough to fit in a decent run before heading off to a meeting at work, which isn’t always the case. I get overly used to sleeping in until whenever, which is a bad habit.

For starters, the radio guy said it was 20 degrees out. Brrr. Well, my iPod Touch, thermometer for all runs, said it was 19 degrees. Now, I’ve run when it’s 2 degrees out. I’ve run when it was 20 and icy and windy. But I had my heart set on 20 and 19 just seemed that much colder. I know, crazy, right?

I reached the far side of the bridge, Rogers Park, and found my intended route blocked by an idle train. I veered south, thinking to take the bridge run I did Monday. Hey, it’d at least provide a solid comparison under the accuracy of GPS conditions. Then, as I headed out  Louisville Road, the train started rolling back into the yards, clearing the crossing at Henderson Street for me to do something different. That turned out to be a good move; found a roll of electrical tape.

From Henderson Street I looped Avenues A and B from Fourth to First Street and returned to Henderson, heading north. Across from Cooke School, in the gutter, I found a dollar bill. I’ve picked up pennies and dimes before, even a quarter or three, but never a dollar. I know, I know, it might have been lunch money dropped by some unlucky student. Then again, it might not have been. Should I run it over to the school? Leave it lie? Judge me as you will, I kept it. The rest of the day, highlighted by lunch, was great. Until now, about three seconds ago, when writing that allowed my conscience to get the better of me. Shit.

Today's Stats (Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2013)
Temp: 19 degrees F
Distance: 4.09 miles
Weekly Total: 8.69 miles
Treasure: 1 roll electrical tape; 1 dollar bill.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle) 
Busted - Matchbox Twenty
Intro - Ryan Adams XM Studio
Lobo Town - James McMurtry
Someday - Rob Thomas
In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Paradise - Bruce Springsteen
Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
Push - Avril Lavigne
The Stranger - Billy Joel
I Want Your Sex (Parts 1 & 2) - George Michael

1 comment:

  1. Keep it! I would! I'm always thinking it would be neat to find a $20 or $50, heck even a $100 bill while running. I would keep it without hesitation! Good find though, a buck is a buck....hahahahahahaahaha. (Laughing cause I found use of the word buck when it's your last name. I know, lame-o!)

    ReplyDelete