Thursday, November 21, 2013

Forced Out of Bounds



It had been more than a week. Tuesday’s attempt was preempted by my social conscience and today’s run was dictated by BNSF. Again.

October photo, but I needed an illustration. I ran by it today, so it's legit.
At the top of my beloved W.C. Jackson Bridge I saw the still snake of rail cars wending west out of the yard. That meant the Academy Street crossing would be blocked. On previous occasions I have simply headed south by southwest and taken the County 10 bridge route. But I wasn’t feelin’ that today. It wasn’t the distance, just the route. So I decided to delay – but not postpone.

I wound my way through the neighborhood southwest of the bridge. Cedar and West streets running north and south; Fourth, Prospect and Fifth east and west. It worked. The train was clearing when I emerged, so I headed out Louisville Road to add some distance and hit Henderson Street. It occurred to me I could build distance in a confined space by again basket-weaving the streets. So I did: Fourth Street to Avenue B, to First, to Avenue A, back to Fourth, then Third, Second and First between Avenue B and Henderson streets.

One observer said of the map I posted that it looked as if I were running in circles. I suppose in a sense I was. But I rather liked the strategy: condensed running. Hit all the streets in a small area and still chalk up some mileage. I think I’ll do it again soon.

Today's Stats
Temp: 47 degrees F
Distance: 5.77 miles
Weekly Total: 5.77 miles
Treasure: Inner peace

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Get It Straight – Trampled Under Foot
Migra – Santana
Alright – Darius Rucker
Clarity – John Mayer
Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden
Come Go With Me – Expose
Goodbye – Trampled Under Foot
Born and Raised (Reprise) – John Mayer
Moondance – Van Morrison
Shame – Avett Brothers
With Or Without You – U2
Too Long In The Wasteland – James McMurtry
S.O.S. – ABBA
She’s So Mean – Matchbox Twenty

No comments:

Post a Comment