Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Zuph-woof, zuph-woof


OK, I've been doing it all wrong.

I knew I wasn't breathing right, but I thought I was trying, so it was OK. I figured I'm hamstrung in the lungs anyway because I grew up in a house with two smoking parents — no, not supermodels. When I run, I huff and puff like the big, bad wolf that I am, er, I mean... Oh, never mind. The point is, when I'm on the verge of passing someone on a race course or a walker on the sidewalk/path/street where I happen to be running, he or she invariably turns to see what imminent danger is approaching. I sound like a freight train, all right? It's embarrassing. It's another reason to wear earbuds with loud music; I don't have to hear my thudding footfalls or my labored breathing.

Sidebar



Speaking of earbuds, I’ll admit hear and now that I have an obsession bordering on fetish for earbuds. Looking for that ultimate pair that combines great sound with good environmental sound capacity. Meaning I want to have great music sound while still being able to hear the goings on around me. Noise-blocking buds are great, but because I wear mine when biking and working, I need to be able to hear the ambient audio.

Anyway, I will wear noise-cancelling buds when I run. I know, I know… But the Phillips sport buds I bought last may be durable and sweat-proof, the sound quality leaves much to be desired. After a casual comment about that fact, I was treated by a dear friend to a birthday gift of some fine Bose http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/sport_headphones/index.jspbuds designed for runners. Even came with a nice Reebok arm-case for a phone/mp3 player. Tried it for the first time today (now yesterday). Pretty sweet!


Return

Frankly, I'm lazy. I don't like to work at things. I played piano for several years as a boy. It came pretty easy for the first few years. Then, when it started to get harder, to require more effort, more genuine practice, I kind of lost interest. (I am not proud of this trait; simply stating self-awareness.)

You might not believe it, but I do about enough running to gain a little benefit, but I don't really stress my body over it. Other than the sore knee and the ER visit last summer. Oh, I've pushed myself now and again. But I've never bothered to really read about it and practice techniques for improvement. I just want to go run. While that may sound like I'm some sort of purist or go-getter, I'm really just lazy. Reading about it and practicing breathing and following a regimen is too much like work.

Sure, I followed the Couch to 5K program when I started three years ago, but that was different.

Or was it?
 
Confession: This blog is weeks in the making. And I still haven’t read the information in the links above. Not fully. Seems too much like work and I already work for a living. But shouldn’t I be willing to work for living?

The crux of it is that with just a little reading I’ve discovered some things about breathing, about breathing from the diaphragm and not the chest. I tried today to work on that. Not sure I really have it yet, but I did work on pattern breathing and I’m a good beginner there. So I think I’ll dedicate a little more learning to this lifestyle.

Anyway, while I’m thinking of the time it took to make this happen, I am reminded about the need to write. Yesterday or the day before I came upon this link through one of the pages I follow on Facebook. For my writing friends:


Today's Stats (April 15)
Temp: 52 degrees F
Distance: 3.29 miles
Weekly Total: 3.29 miles
Treasure: Fresh air.

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Notorious – Duran Duran
Sunday Bloody Sunday – U2
Seasons in the Sun – Terry Jacks
Just the Way You Are – Billy Joel
All You Reasons – Matchbox Twenty
Dig It – The Beatles
Smile – Avril Lavigne
Afternoon Delight – Starland Vocal Band
Here We Go, Let’sRock & Roll – C+C Music Factory
Paradise – Bruce Springsteen

No comments:

Post a Comment