Friday, April 19, 2013

Just Like Starting Over


So, D3’s track coach says that skipping a week of running is like starting over. Coach may be right. I skipped three weeks and I’m paying for it. Sure, my knee feels better, though it still hurts after a run, but 5 miles was hard Thursday morning.

2012 RR Days 10K finish. This inspires me. I CAN do it!
I’m on a running roller coaster. Started the year strong, got soft, tried to pick it up again, took three weeks off to heal a bum knee… Now, six weeks out from the Galesburg Half Marathon Express and I’m worried. I’m reluctant to assign percentages, but running is a mental game as well as a physical game. I’m noticeably lacking in both capacities right now. What will it take to get back in the game? Do I have the mental toughness to do it? The determination? The Willpower?

And what about the physical side of the coin? I started with a stretching walk today, on the advice of a friend. After a couple blocks I started jogging. It felt great. The feeling continued until about the halfway mark. A little after that point I slackened my pace to a walk for half a block. I needed the break. Later I stopped dead at a traffic light. No running in place. Stood still. Then I walked the final block to my door.

So I have questions. Doubts. Do I need to run 13.1 miles before I actually do a half marathon? Must I go the distance first? Or can I do a few 8-, 9- and 10-mile runs and figure I’m ready to push through come race day?

Tonight I expressed my fears to a running friend, one who has inspired and cheered me for a couple years now. Here’s how the conversation played out:

Me: I'm getting scared about the half.

Her: oh come on chicken butt
don't make me lay the smack down on you!

Me: Took off three weeks to rest my knee - patellar tendon pain. Feels much better, but I'm way out of training now. Five miles was killer today.
Need to get my head straight.

Her: I'm in a don't give me no bs mood, not that your feelings aren't important or valid....but you ARE capable of this!
You have plenty of time. The race is not tomorrow
or next week

Here I am before the start of last year's Run Galesburg Run
Half Marathon/5K. This year I'm doing the half.
Me: OK. Yes, ma'am. God, you're a great cheerleader. I know I can do it. Just self doubt.


Me: Don't do well with training regimens. Need to do it on my own schedule, own terms.


Her: I hate training plans! Queen of do it yourself training right here

OK. So no excuses. I can and will do this. Just as I’ve told other friends who expressed doubt about their ability, I have in turn been bolstered. Belief is at least 50 percent of the recipe to success. If the ingredients don’t go sour, I’m already halfway there.


Today's Stats
Temp: 54 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 8.29 miles
Treasure: Water, water everywhere…

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Put Your Lights On – Santana Feat. Everlast
Ready to Love Again – Lady Antebellum
Problem Girl – Rob Thomas
Bad Blood – Neil Sedaka
Memory – The Call
Say – John Mayer
Love Me Do – The Beatles
Stickshifts and Safetybelts – Cake
Only the Good Die Young (live) – Billy Joel
Give Me the Night – George Benson
It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me – Bill Joel
Max’s Theorem (live banter) – James McMurtry
Levelland – James McMurtry
Goodbye – Avril Lavigne

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like you have some awesome friends who are so willing to give you a kick in the rear! ;)

    To answer your ?'s, no you don't have to run 13.1 before the race. Yes doing some 9-10-11 mile runs is enough. When I reached those distances (13.1, 26.2 & beyond) I never ran those distances before, sometimes not even close, but I had no problem with the actual race distance when it came to the day of race.

    Also, don't forget or underestimate the power of actual race day. A course laid out for you, all you have to do is run & follow. People all around you to cheer you on or tell you to keep going, Ponytails to be chasing! Race day is completely different than you, your ipod and a long stretch of miles.

    You are going to do amazing at your half marathon!!!!

    ReplyDelete