Monday, April 29, 2013

Perseverance Over Pain


I knew my knee would hurt. But when the pain was such that I considered giving up after the first block, I grew concerned. I stopped, adjusted my patellar tendon strap, and continued. A block later I was still thinking about quitting. This can’t be good for my body, I thought.

Not comparing my sore knee to Joe Theisman's brutal
leg injury. Just trying to grab your attention. :)
But I strove onward: west past Broad Street; another couple blocks to Academy; onward north. I know the route that will get me 3.4 miles, a little over a 5K. Still I contemplated capitulating. But I have to do this.

I began mulling over the need to see a doctor. What if he tells me no half marathon? What if he tells me no more running?! I’m not ready for that. So I figure I’ll power through it for now, adding some strengthening exercises and some stretches for my ankles and shins, and make this happen. If surgery is needed, it will still be needed later. And I will have reached my bucket list goal of running a half marathon. If I put it off this year, who knows if it’ll ever happen.

I hear the admonitions now. I remember telling a friend she was wise to listen to the advice of experienced runners who told her to listen to her body. “Don’t be stupid,” they said. She listened and allowed her body to heal. I tried that. Took off three and a half weeks. My knee felt much better. Then it hurt like the dickens the first time I put the pressure of a running step on it.

But what I found today, as with most runs, I eventually ran through the pain. It either improved with the strength bestowed by the process or it became numbed by the endorphins coursing through my veins. I really do believe part of it is a strength issue. That’s confirmed by some past experience and by the experience of a friend at Saturday’s Swedish Stomp.

Tom Colclasure, whom I mentioned in my blog from the Stomp, was telling me of his past knee injury, which sounded similar to mine (resulted in fluid on the knee, way back in my youth). Tom said when he started working out at a local gym, Maximum Performance, a trainer advised him to work on strengthening his knee rather than relying on apparatus to support the joint. He assured me it’s worked for him. And I believe him.

For now I’ll lean on the support of my patellar tendon strap. But I’ll work on making that part of my body strong enough to handle the stress and strain of running on its own. And if that’s not possible, well, I’ll burn that bridge when I get there.

Today's Stats
Temp: 56-60 degrees F
Distance: 3.4 miles
Weekly Total: 3.4 miles
Treasure: Strength

iPod Playlist (Shuffle):
Union of the Snake – Duran Duran
Fisherman’s Blues – The Waterboys
Evil Train – Trampled Under Foot
Back to You – John Mayer
Dance Hall Days – Wang Chung
The Night ChicagoDied – Paper Lace
Losing Grip – Avril Lagigne
Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl) – Looking Glass
Mr. Jones – Counting Crows
In the Mood – Robert Plant

No comments:

Post a Comment