Sunday, October 23, 2011

Welcome, the open road

Just after turning onto Davis.
I finally took advantage of a beautiful weekend for a bike ride with the Q Pack -- a fluid group of cyclists organized by Annette from Q's Cafe and Jeremy Karlin. I'm told it was the largest group yet to hit the road. Our biker gang numbered 11 and we made quite the showing over 13.5 miles from Q's to Lake Bracken and back Saturday morning.

We were a variety of riders, from beginners to seasoned pedalers, in attire from sweats to jeans and fleece to spandex and nylon. All but one were helmeted. Yes, I was the rebel without a clue. Actually, I have all the necessary clues. I know the logical arguments for wearing a helmet and I understand the quite rational defense for not wearing one. I may soon give in and protect my precious skull, but for now I ride nekkid.

Rest stop at the Bracken mailboxes -- midpoint of the ride
But back to the ride. We departed Q's a little after 11, took Main Street east to Chambers, south on Chambers to Davis, west to Seminary and on out into the countryside.The weather was amazing: cool air, slowly warmed by sun and exertion, clear skies, only a slight wind that was never fully in our faces. Traffic was light and courteous.

And it was a scavenger's paradise. Another rider picked up a pair of gloves I passed by, and I also let slide two foam swim noodles, a shirt of some sort in the ditch along County Highway 25, a crumple speed limit sign closer to Lake Bracken but still along County 25. May have to make another trip with a backpack!

Ray Miller casts a cool shadow in this over-the-
shoulder shot as we ride through Lake Bracken.
Best of all, though, was the camaraderie of cyclists out for an enjoyable ride. Many of us were strangers to each other, and yet not strangers at all, connected as we are by our love of cycling. And again, we come from different backgrounds and different levels of biking experience. But all agree, bicycling is fun and important and worth sharing and encouraging others to try.

So, let me leave there. Give it a try. Dig out your old bike before winter sets in and get it in shape to ride. Need help doing that? Email me. If I can't do it, I can point you in the right direction. Or maybe you know somebody else who rides and knows a little about bikes. It doesn't take much. Just do it. 

Jeremy Karlin and Ken Exum riding close to the point as we head north on
Knox County Road 500E, which becomes Farnham Street in Galesburg.

1 comment:

  1. I *hate* riding with a helmet. None of my kids wear them either. *gasp....shock*, yet they are all still alive & well today. I'm a rebel too, unless it mandatory. Once upon a time did a few outdoor tris & there it's usually required. Fine...if I have to....

    ReplyDelete