Sunday, August 7, 2011

New shop in town: Dunham's Sports

I didn't hear the question but the reply was clear: "No, we don't sell handguns. We just have the ammo."

Yeah, and two display racks full of military-style longarms, what anti-gunners like to call "assault rifles." They're semi-automatics but I reckon you could find some pretty high-capacity clips for the AK47 and AR-15 knockoffs.


I hope you'll excuse the divergence from the Lost & Found theme. I haven't run since the Bix (I will tomorrow, I promise), and I realized last night I needed to write. What to share? Well, I did find a pink bra while biking out Henderson Street Saturday morning after breakfast at Steak 'n Shake. Daughter No. 3 pleaded with me to not pick it up, but I told her it was unavoidable. They're getting bigger -- this one's a 38D. How does that end up in the Perkins parking lot drive?

Anyway, we made our first trip to the new Dunham's Sports store. I've been to a Dunham's a few times before: Quad Cities, Michigan. But now Galesburg has one. And that's pretty exciting. I don't mean that in the, "Ooh, we're big time now, we've landed a big-city market sporting goods store" way, as was the reaction around town when we learned Galesburg had been chosen for a Starbucks. (It's long gone.) It's just nice to have a store with a large selection of sporting goods.

Anyway, I am speculating here, so feel free to read this with a skeptical mind, but I would guess Dunham's, like Walmart, does not sell handguns as a concession to the anti-gun lobby who like to see handguns as good for one purpose: killing people.


That's an argument for another time. For now let me just point out that the two cases of military-style fun-guns at Dunham's, sandwiched between some hideous modern black powder rifles and a variety of everyday and self-defense rifles and shotguns, technically fill the same niche as handguns. Don't get me wrong. I'm a gun guy. I don't have a problem with either type, I'm just wondering, why the double standard?

It's a lot like Walmart's refusal to sell certain music CDs because corporate mopes object to the lyrical content. And yet they'll sell ultra-violent video games and horror films that feature extensive gore and intense, brutal rape scenes. Again, I am not advocating for censorship, but stick by your standards. Sell the CDs, too, or eliminate the videos and games that are equally "offensive."

To continue my critique of the new outdoors mega-store, let me share the positives before getting down to some personal brass tacks. I returned a second time Saturday to snap some more pix with my phone (I still find that funny -- taking photos with a phone) but I've really only made a cursory review of the store. It's pretty good size and carries A LOT of stuff. There appeared to be considerable space devoted to athletic apparel, including some items with local school logos; baseball gear; golf equipment; fishing, firearms and archery goodies; shoes for running and walking and field sports (cleats); and a variety of other things I don't quite recall in detail. I'll admit, it's a fun place to wander. I'd rather walk the aisles of Dunham's than Lowe's or Menards, and I like those big-box bonanzas pretty well.


Now, I don't know if ballplayers, golfers and campers are satisfied with the selection at Dunham's. A lot of it seems adequate to me. But I don't play ball, I don't golf and it's been a while since I've been camping. Frankly, I really want to support local -- I mean truly local -- business as much as possible, so my running shoes and accoutrements will come from Go Outside and Play Running Company. But I'm sure I'll do some shopping at Dunham's. I like the store overall. But beyond the corporate gun shop philosophy (or my interpretation of it), I was disappointed in Dunham's treatment of my area of interest: bikes.

At left above, you'll see something is missing from this display of men's running shoes. If you can't tell from the photo, re-read that first sentence and compare it to the picture.


The Bikes section of the store, located in the far back, left corner (no criticism, just directing you), is marked by a huge sign hanging from the ceiling. The three-tiered rack of bicycles contains the usual big-box assortment -- nothing of even mid-level quality from what I saw in my quick perusal. Of course, the display area is not very conducive to investigation. The top tier is out of reach and practially out of view for shoppers under 7 feet tall. No way to eyeball the components, sit on a saddle, check the size, fit, feel.

The wall of accessories is dominated by an array of saddles, mostly cushy types with a thpe of nylon cover that, in my experience, wears quickly and results in a seat that leaves black marks on your butt. There were a handful of tools you won't find at Walmart, Target or Kmart (the only other outlets for cycling supplies in town). But the tires and tubes are the same limited selection of basics. Riding an older, classic 10-speed with a 27x1 1/4 tire, you'll be ordering online. Need new grips? You can get sponge-style and one other type for mountain bikes (I think). No cruiser grips. No bar tape. No real selection at all.


Now, admittedly, the offerings of Dunham's (or the big-box discount stores in town) probably fit the needs of the casual or introductory cyclist in Galesburg. But there is a small cadre of bicycle enthusiasts here and I believe that core is expanding. We need a bike shop. I know what you're thinking: Shut up and do it yourself. I would, but I am woefully lacking in the mechanical skills necessary. I am just not mechanically adept. And from what I have heard from one other small-town bike shop owner, it's not the kind of business that can support multiple employees. The clerk needs to be the wrench-man, too.

Maybe someday I'll be up to the task or somebody who has the necessary skills will find it a profitable enough venture. Until then...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disfruté tu trabajo y la forma en que presentaste este artículo sobre.Tienda de suplementos deportivos. Para nosotros, es un documento beneficioso y útil. Gracias por compartir esta historia.

    ReplyDelete