Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Left Behind

When you run with a group it becomes obvious where you rank. I am typically last. I don't mind. But it doesn't help one's cause to always be the last to arrive for the run. And when you stop to take a few photos along the way, well, you end up so far behind that everybody decides to head home to clean up for work before you've even rounded the last bend. Again, I don't mind. And with a day off work today, I didn't have to rush at all. Hell, I lingered and drank down the Gatorade I found on the way out and enjoyed a short walk along the lake shore. I saw a turtle that was too fast for me to get a photo but I did capture a few nice shots of the lake and log he had been sunning on.

Yeah, I know, you're still stuck on my drinking the Gatorade from the road. It was an unopened, seal unbroken bottle. I examined it for obvious cooties and found none. Ironically, today was one of the few that I remembered my water bottle for post-run hydration. Needless to say, I didn't need it. I was refreshed with that G2 grape-goodness, which also replenished my depleted electrolytes.Did I mention it was tasty? And with the cool fall-like morning air, the liquid was adequately chilled, to boot.

As chance would have it, I actually took along a plastic bag for any goodies I might find today. I usually don't bother because the lake trail is pretty well-kept. That was the case again, but as I paralleled North Lake Storey Road just past the police pistol range, a little ways before the curve toward the spillway bridge, I spied a lump of white in the middle of the road. As is my nature now, I had to investigate. It was a fairly clean washcloth. How handy.

Back in the park near the Lions Shelters, I noticed a few of the trash barrels were tipped onto their sides. They were mostly empty, which was nice to see, but one had a couple of aluminum cans inside (one beer, one Pepsi). I grabbed those, too, and added a hand towel in Lincoln Park and nine more cans on the bike ride home. Not bad for a day at the lake.

Today's Stats
Temp: 57 degrees F
Distance: 5 miles
Weekly Total: 10.25
Treasure: 1 Gatorade G2 (grape flavor); 1 white washcloth; 1 white and pink checkered hand towel; 11 cans; another 111 cans from the receptacles at the newspaper.

Turtle log, sans turtle.

iPod Playlist (shuffle)
Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp (I liked this video because of the bicycles.)
For the Love of a Princess - James Horner (Braveheart soundtrack)
The Marauders - Tears for Fears
If Ever You're In My Arms Again - Peebo Bryson
Bicycle Song - Kevin Brown
Sleepwalking - Lyle Lovett
I'm Not Moving - Phil Collins
I'll Take My Sorrow Straight - Iris Dement
All My Loving - The Beatles
Dream On - Glee Cast (feat. Neil Patrick Harris
Father, Son - Peter Gabriel
Luther Played Guitar - Stan Ridgway
Calliope House - The Waterboys
On Any Other Day - The Police
Fancy Man Blues - The Rolling Stones


1 comment:

  1. Love your lake pictures! You had me right, I was still stuck on you drinking the gatorade. I was like HE DRANK IT!

    ReplyDelete